First hatch with hovabator genesis:) (I'm excited, have to tell someone)

alaskanchicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
In case anyone was wondering about my chicken hatching endeavors.....I set 42 eggs. I got 20 living chicks, 5 dead in the shell, no pip internal or external. One dead after it pipped and zipped, but never hatched. And the 14 were duds. I had one die because I think of exhaustion. It was really stuck in its shell. Oh and one more that looks to be still alive when i candeled it. So overall not too bad. Now....to decide if I want to try more... Do you think the ones that died got kicked around too much? My little boy was sad they died, but said it was ok because we would just have chicks in heaven:)

if you had eggs shipped that is pretty respectable. also im assuming by your name you are in Alaska. if that is the case they could have easily been weakened by a chill before they were ever in the incubator.

if you decided to try it again, try to get eggs from a local source (if your not the source) that you trust.

it could have also been caused by low or high humidity, or low temp.

if this is your first try, you done excellent, I wouldn't give up.

They actually weren't shipped. I couldn't believe how many weren't fertile. I bought three 1/2 doz from other people. I put six in from my hens, only two weren't fertile of my eggs. I should have kept better track of who came from what egg.

if the temp is commonly below 40 f then that was probably what happened. eggs that get chilled will start to form but usually don't make it... sometimes they will even make it to the point of hatch and not pip through.

the other big cause is humidity. im guessing if you have a humidity problem , it would be high. with low humidity chicks will stick in the egg as they are hatching.

Back
Top Bottom