First hatch

Coolbreeze89

Songster
5 Years
Apr 7, 2018
Central Texas
I’m on day 17 of my first hatch ever. First, I want to thank everyone on this forum for all of the amazing information. I’m new to chickens in the last 6 months, new to any livestock in the last year, and I am loving every minute of it!

Second, I just want to share a little of my excitement, as my hubby thinks I’m crazy! I set 40 eggs from my own flock: I have speckled Sussex and BCM roosters, and a variety of hens (EE, lavender and black Ameracauna, speckled Sussex, BCM, RIR, golden comets, white leghorns, and one lav Orpington). I have them split across two incubators, and will go into lockdown tomorrow. 33 of 40 eggs have made it this far...hoping I’ll have that many after candling tomorrow, too.

I am so excited! Thanks for letting me share, and thanks again for the support everyone puts forth every day!

It is so exciting!!

There is nothing wrong with loving the whole process! We certainly understand on here!! :clap:plbb

My family think I'm pretty bonkers too! And the people I work with! However as I work at a school, they often ask me to make videos of the chickens for the children!! Which is something I'm always more than happy to do!

You certainly have a huge variety waiting to hatch! That's awesome! I'm sending positive vibes for you for a successful hatch. It puts my lowly 6 under my broody to shame!! Hehe.

Good luck :thumbsup

Just hatched my first babies and had a great nervous time! I locked down on day 18 and then hatching started before even 24 hours! Of all the things that could go wrong, well I am blessed they are doing so well. Since I have a small incubator that saids up to 12 eggs I did only 8 and really I think even 6 or 7 would be better simply because of the room I think they need to have. Of course every incubator is different... and you sound like you have a great one to have all of those eggs! I think we need a chicken wife's husband anonymous for husbands who let their wives do this sort of thing! lol my babies are in the den with me in their little house!

Everyone is locked down. Still at 33 with good air cell progression and rest of egg appeared filled in all. A couple waved a little foot at me... Now at day 19.5. Nothing yet! I did notice my incubator temps have dropped without the turner (even though the thermostat should be adjusting??). Monitoring closely and slowly adjusting settings. Thanks for checking in!

I did notice my incubator temps have dropped without the turner (even though the thermostat should be adjusting??). Monitoring closely and slowly adjusting settings. Thanks for checking in!
Yes, the turner motors can put off a lot of heat. What kind of bator?
Slowly adjust .....waiting several hours between adjustments.

Yes, the turner motors can put off a lot of heat. What kind of bator?
Slowly adjust .....waiting several hours between adjustments.
Farm innovators 4250. I’m using an Incutherm thermometer/hygrometer (brand new), because I don’t trust the digital readout (I’ve also been crosschecking with an infrared thermometer). I waited 12 hours before adjusting 1/2 degree up. It’s weird, the temps had been stable right at 99.7-100 (35-40% humidity), but this morning (24 hrs after lockdown), temp read 95 and humidity up to 69%. I’ll see what the half degree increase in setting does overnight. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom