First hatch

I don't trust any thermometer or hygrometer.
I test/compare them all....saved me a lot of headaches.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/
Agreed on distrust of the equipment! I wasn’t sure how to do the ice test with the incubator probe, so I’ve not checked it. Same with the digital incutherm (no waterproof “tip” to soak)... I did do the ice test with the cheap red bulb that came with the bator...so off, I threw it away. ‍♀️

Agreed on distrust of the equipment! I wasn’t sure how to do the ice test with the incubator probe, so I’ve not checked it. Same with the digital incutherm (no waterproof “tip” to soak)... I did do the ice test with the cheap red bulb that came with the bator...so off, I threw it away. ‍♀️
Did you read my link?

Ten chicks have hatched so far! All came out of the incubator with the most consistent temps. I GENTLY moved the eggs from the second bator into the one where the eggs are hatching. Hoping the chirping will cheer them on!

Tomorrow at 11am is 21 days, so I’m surprised so many have hatched already! Very happy and excited. Love the chirping sounds!

Ten chicks have hatched so far! All came out of the incubator with the most consistent temps. I GENTLY moved the eggs from the second bator into the one where the eggs are hatching. Hoping the chirping will cheer them on!

Tomorrow at 11am is 21 days, so I’m surprised so many have hatched already! Very happy and excited. Love the chirping sounds!
Means your temps may have been running a bit high.....not a problem really.

WooHoo!!! Congrats!! Pics?

Seven more pips... Pic from incubator. Will post more once they’re dried off and settled. So excited!

Attachments

• BE7C452B-D6D6-4799-96C6-D1C8A30A84F9.jpeg
    BE7C452B-D6D6-4799-96C6-D1C8A30A84F9.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 8
Quick update! I had 28 of 40 set eggs hatch. One chick died the first night in the brooder, but no sign why. All the other chicks are doing great. They eat so much! Love how fast they’ve learned to run around the brooder.

One interesting thing: I had 3 (out of 4 set) EE eggs that developed fully, but failed to hatch. When I candled at 21 days (after most of the others had hatched, there was no movement). I gently tapped an air hole into the air sac: one had internally pipped, two hadn’t, but there was no movement on any of them. I gently expanded the hole so I could see more and they were clearly dead. Not mal-developed. They almost seemed too big for the egg?? Is this possible? My EE eggs are the smallest laid. The Roos are either BCM or Speckled Sussex. The EE hens were the last added to my flock, so maybe because younger hens? Just wondering and trying to learn. Overall, I’m very pleased with my hatch, esp given the equipment variability and, of course, my inexperience. Thank goodness for everyone at BYC!

Back
Top Bottom