First Hatch

Brooks_

!!Florida Man!!
Jun 2, 2020
Near Devil's Millhopper
The first one hatched, others have pipped. Now what? I've read remove in pairs/groups (once fluffed) to wait for all. Also, once removed do thy need the nutri-drench water like when they're shipped?

We've done both removing them from the brooder and letting them stay inside until they all hatch. When it comes down to it, you have to gauge it based on how the chicks are behaving. Sometimes, they get restless and will begin to sit on one another (which isn't a bad thing unless they all pile on one chick). If that happens, and the hatched ones are all fluffed up, it may be best to put a blanket over your head and the incubator to keep the humidity in an enclosed area and remove the chicks from the brooder (if possible, multiple sets of hands is really helpful to make sure this is done timely). If you think they can last until all the chicks hatch, which is also an option, then you can allow them to remain in the incubator until the last one fluffs up - don't take them out as soon as the last one hatches. That little one needs some time to relax first. ;)
When they are in the brooder, it is a good idea to give them something in their water so they get a lot of nutrients initially, just like when they are shipped. Normally, we carefully dip their beaks in some sugar water, but we supply some fresh water in their brooder.

I hope this helps, and congratulations on your little friends!

The first one hatched, others have pipped. Now what? I've read remove in pairs/groups (once fluffed) to wait for all. Also, once removed do thy need the nutri-drench water like when they're shipped?
I like to remove as soon as possible not leaving them in incubator any longer than I have to. As long as you move quickly I have never had a problem removing them to already heated brooder. And yes I also add nutri-drench to water for first 2 days dipping beaks getting them off to a good start, gets any weaker chicks off and running. Good luck with your new hatchlings.

Back
Top Bottom