1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by d73, Sep 19, 2009.

1. d73

d73 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Pine Island Florida
    This is my first time hatching eggs.
    I got 15 chicks out of 34 eggs. Not to great.
    The baby quail that did hatch are doing fine.
    Most of the eggs did pip, I'm going to leave them in the bator for another day or so just to make sure. today is day 20 of a 18 day hatch time on the coturnix.
    I got a few questions I can't seem to find a ansewer to.

When you remove the egg turner 3 day before hatch, do you just lay the eggs on they're side?

I read where someone said to but a small towel on the wire because the quail legs will fall through. Does that hurt the humidity? Because it's over the water trays.

2. kemper

kemper New Egg

Sep 18, 2009
    Yes, just lay the eggs on their sides, you can put cheese cloth on the screen to make it easier to clean if you want

3. neckbone

neckbone New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    :)Congrats I think you did well. I know how hard it is to hatch birds.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

em, i put water tray beside under lamp and beside the eggs so it didn't affect it at all, yes the cloth will absorb the *water* but i see it didn't affect the whole at all. the humidity stay good when the chicks hatched.

if the space between wire is small then it won't hurt any.

yes, i took it out from carton and just let it lay like natural but keep the small end down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by