First hatched chick killed

Usedtowanna

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2015
We have a barred rock mama sitting on eggs. Her first chick hatched this morning and in a matter of hours, when we went back to check on it, the chick had a bloody back. We left it while we fixed up a separate container to care for it in but now we don’t see it and the peeping has stopped.

Questions and info:

This mama has her eggs in an enclosed litter box I put in the co-op as a nesting box.

I am assuming one of the other hens or roosters hurt the chick. Why wouldn’t the mom have protected her chick?

IF the chick is still in there and dead, what will become of it? Will mom push it out? Might the other chickens have eaten it?

Attachments

• FF11691C-68A7-4177-AF82-E642DDAF3178.jpeg
    FF11691C-68A7-4177-AF82-E642DDAF3178.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 4A879E95-20CD-437F-A319-6FB01C278B55.jpeg
    4A879E95-20CD-437F-A319-6FB01C278B55.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 8
Not saying this is what's happening in your case, but...some broody hens are just not good mamas. A friend had a broody that was slowly eating the eggs she was sitting on and they were fertilized. She won't be allowed to brood again.

Is the litter box nest completely enclosed, or is the door open so the other chickens can get inside? Other chickens could've hurt the baby. Also, I don't see how she could've covered those eggs enough for them to be developing at the same rate? I'll let someone more experienced help you with a solution.

We have a barred rock mama sitting on eggs. Her first chick hatched this morning and in a matter of hours, when we went back to check on it, the chick had a bloody back. We left it while we fixed up a separate container to care for it in but now we don’t see it and the peeping has stopped.

Questions and info:

This mama has her eggs in an enclosed litter box I put in the co-op as a nesting box.

I am assuming one of the other hens or roosters hurt the chick. Why wouldn’t the mom have protected her chick?

IF the chick is still in there and dead, what will become of it? Will mom push it out? Might the other chickens have eaten it?
I am sorry that you are in a stressful situation. I have had a very similar experience, in my first flock a silkie hatched out a single chick and when I went out to check on it one of the big girls had pecked it's back. In my personal experience I pulled the chick into a brooder and tried to treat the wound, but it was too late and the chick ultimately passed. If I were you I would look over the chick, but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't make it. Chicks are small and delicate and that is a lot for their little bodies to process, I would imagine the survival rate is low due to shock, but that's just a guess. In my experience, the flock saw the chick as an outsider and tried to harm it on sight. From what I've read, some hens will protect their babies, but if they aren't high on the pecking order then they could be picked on/targeted by the hens at the top of the pecking order. If it's dead then it'll likely either sit there until removed or momma may eat it. My advice would be to remove the chicks as they hatch and put them in a brooder to avoid them being pecked by someone bigger in the flock. Good luck hatching! I hope everything goes well for you.

Not saying this is what's happening in your case, but...some broody hens are just not good mamas. A friend had a broody that was slowly eating the eggs she was sitting on and they were fertilized. She won't be allowed to brood again.

Is the litter box nest completely enclosed, or is the door open so the other chickens can get inside? Other chickens could've hurt the baby. Also, I don't see how she could've covered those eggs enough for them to be developing at the same rate? I'll let someone more experienced help you with a solution.
I appreciate your thoughts. I guess we’ll have to handle things differently next time if we have anymore hatch. The litter box is closed on all sides except for the front so any of the chickens could have had access.

I am sorry that you are in a stressful situation. I have had a very similar experience, in my first flock a silkie hatched out a single chick and when I went out to check on it one of the big girls had pecked it's back. In my personal experience I pulled the chick into a brooder and tried to treat the wound, but it was too late and the chick ultimately passed. If I were you I would look over the chick, but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't make it. Chicks are small and delicate and that is a lot for their little bodies to process, I would imagine the survival rate is low due to shock, but that's just a guess. In my experience, the flock saw the chick as an outsider and tried to harm it on sight. From what I've read, some hens will protect their babies, but if they aren't high on the pecking order then they could be picked on/targeted by the hens at the top of the pecking order. If it's dead then it'll likely either sit there until removed or momma may eat it. My advice would be to remove the chicks as they hatch and put them in a brooder to avoid them being pecked by someone bigger in the flock. Good luck hatching! I hope everything goes well for you.
Thank you for sharing your experience. We’ll handle things differently next time. Sad but part of the learning process, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom