First hatches of the year end in a nightmare :(

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
I have 2 hens sitting on eggs one had 7 serama eggs, out of those 7, 5 made it to full term and only one hatched the others died in the shell
hit.gif
. Under the other hen are 8 mixed cochin eggs, today is day 22 and so far i have 3 chicks and no more peeps but they are pecking in there. I went to get in the shower and when i got out i smelled something HORRIBLE. I went to check on the babies and realized the hen had a broody bowel movement everywhere, all over the eggs,chicks, walls everywhere !!!!!
barnie.gif
hit.gif
I have NEVER had this happen to me before, all but one egg was just completely covered in broody poo
sad.png
if that wasn't bad enough she then got back on the eggs full of poo
sickbyc.gif
rant.gif
I had no choice but to rinse them off there was no simply wiping them, i didn't submerge them in water I used a wet paper towel to get it off. Is this gonna kill the chicks inside the eggs?? SHould i get them out of there now? I got everything cleaned up the best i could but im sure there are a few spots i missed under the hen. Man what a mess
hit.gif

Quote:
Yeah, the broody poo is smelly stuff. This is my first hatch and I have two cochin bantams inside the house, each sitting on eggs. One of my hens was good about getting up, eating, drinking, and taking a poop away from her nest. The other hen kept pooping on the eggs and so each day I had to clean it up with toilet paper. I didn't rinse the eggs off, just wiped them. They're hatching just fine, so far.

I'm not sure why one hen seem conscientious about "not" pooping on the nest and the other didn't. It almost seemed as if the one that pooped in the nest was worried about getting off the nest more than the other one.

All over the chicks, though? I can imagine that has to be awful.

Last edited:
I am sooo sorry. I hope they all make it. I really do.

And I cannot resist it, so you're gonna have to shoot me. That hen sure TOLD YOU to HATCH your own eggs! She's obviously given the matter some thought and given you HER opinion. All over your eggs and fluffies.

Hang in there.

SHe sure did tell me!!!! I was taking her out of her box to do her "business" but since one of her chicks decided to hatch 2 days early she would have been able to get off the nest to go. I was going to take her off and into another room right after my shower but i guess it was tooo late. Poor girl couldn't help it. I hope it doesn't affect the hatch it was by no means a solid poo
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom