FIRST HATCHING - POSSIBLE PREMATURE CHICK - PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quailsgallore20, Sep 30, 2016.

1. quailsgallore20

quailsgallore20 New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    So I have a bator full of quail eggs, day 17 today. yesterday morning the first chick had internally pipped the shell and 14 hours later there was no progress whatsoever.

The chick inside was very quiet and not peeping.

I removed a small bit of shell and put back into the bator to give it chance to hatch itself. 1 hour later no progress. I removed all of the bottom half of the shell as I suspected the chick may have been too big in the shell and couldn't zip.

I eventually broke the white membrane and again after putting it back in the bator there was no progress and the chick was silent.

after around 3 hours, I peeled back the membrane around the chick and eventually it unfolded, but was still attached to the shell via the umbilical cord. I have left him over night to absorb all of the vessels and this morning all of the vessel had dried out so I removed the chick from the shell and all went well.

The chick appears to be very weak, unable to stand, can move its head around but quickly gets tired so rests again and it's down has dried out, but is stuck down in places and is not fluffy.

I have given it a bit of water on the end of my finger this morning which it accepted, but it still seems very weak.

it's active enough and is kicking around in the incubator, however it doesn't open its eyes very often and the majority of the time has them closed.

He seems stronger this morning than he did at 11pm last night, but is there anymore I can do?

the bator is at 37.7'C and humidity is at 65

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
  3. quailsgallore20

quailsgallore20 New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    It's ok, all is fine. Bopping around with the rest and I don't know which it is now lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by