1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

First Incubation Attempt

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dyork8, Feb 3, 2017.

1. dyork8

dyork8 New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    I built a coolerbator from many of your ideas and have been running it for two days to get it stabilized at 99.5 ish. This morning I put my eggs in and the thermometer/ hygrometer (which is laying in the middle of the eggs) is reading between 96.5 - 98. Obviously opening the store and placing cool eggs in it (they were being stored at around 60 degrees) has broken the previous temp cycle.

Question: Should I leave it alone and let it stableize once everything settles back in and the eggs warm slowly or adjust the thermostat to get the temp up immediately? The eggs have been in about 2.5 hrs at this point. I'm really not looking forward to messing with the thermostat but obviously will if necessary.

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I usually wait for it to stabilize and then adjust if neccesary, messing with settings now might do more harm than good if you can't set it back properly afterwards... Depending on the size and insulation it can take awhile to get the temperature stabilized, but I believe that it should already be ok by now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by