First Incubation Help!

Pelephant

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
So, my call ducks have been having eggs this past spring, and it just so happened that my Orpington became broody roughly a week and a half ago. Not thinking much, I put any eggs I found under her (whenever I'd find one, I'd stick it under.) However, four days ago, I was surprised to see that she had left the nest for a good hour, and was have a long dust bath outside. Afraid that the eggs had cooled down, I dug out an incubator machine my friend had lent me a few months ago, started it up and put three duck eggs in. I set the setting to "duck" and it flashed a countdown for 28 days. I candled them recently, and found that 2/3 have been growing nicely, with movement and blood vessels. Now I know a way to set the machine into a different number of days. The only problem is since I put the eggs in rather randomly under the Orpington, I don't know how many days they've been incubating! I know, I know, it was irresponsible of me not to note the dates, but I didn't think too much into it. The machine will automatically stop turning the eggs when the countdown comes to 3, but I don't know what number to set it to.

So my question is this, is it alright for the incubator to continue turning the eggs up to the hatch date? Is there some other way for me to see how old they are or to find out when there are only 3 days left till hatching? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

if i were you, i would just keep turning them carefully by hand 3 times a day wich is the minimum times they should be turned.

i think that would hurt less then just stop turning them .

i have had chickens hatch a day early and they played soccer with the other eggs while they were hatching and it didnt harm any of them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom