1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First incubator batch

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by neishalee, Dec 12, 2015.

1. neishalee

neishalee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've had an incubator for a long time but I've never used it before other than when I had a broody mama get off her nest after half her eggs had hatched.

Last weekend a couple coyotes got into the coop and took 10 of my 15 chickens including my rooster. I collected eggs for a couple days and put 18 of them in the incubator yesterday. I loved my rooster and I know he was doing his duty so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have a couple of his babies at New Years.

I did get to use the saying "Don't count your chicks before they hatch" in the literal sense with my 6 year old. I laughed as I said it.

[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Good luck. The eggs from your hens will be fertile for, at least, a couple of weeks. You have a very good chance of chicks hatching.

3. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I did the first candling and weight check. I only had one with a blood ring and the rest look fine. I did chart the weights and locations in the incubator and I found a pattern that the eggs toward the top seemed to be losing weight more quickly than the ones at the bottom. There wasn't any noticeable pattern in left to right location. I flipped their locations so we'll see if that helps in a couple of days.

[​IMG]

4. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    How is your batch progressing?

5. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Eeek! The first two are pipped. So excited to have New Years babies. Maybe I'll make it to midnight tonight.

6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

Good luck and happy New Year's. Enjoy the new babies.

7. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    First one is out after only 4 hours. 2 have pips. It was great, the entire family was watching as he came out.

8. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Chick 2 is here and 2 more have pipped.

9. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

Hopefully all four have hatched by now. New year's babies. What kind of chickens are they?

10. neishalee

Apr 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    3 have hatched and the 4th is still working on it. 2 more have pipped .

They are mutts at this point. I was told daddy was an Easter egger but he didn't have puffy cheeks. He was a great rooster and if I didn't feel so guilty about his death I would have just ordered chicks in the spring. I may still do that since I lost my Dark Cornish at the same time and they make great mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by