First injury help! Stopping bleeding and how to treat when its so cold!

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
So first injury today. Checked on everyone at 2pm all fine then at 6pm found this.

Apart from some comb tips bleeding now we have an injury point just above the nose and splattered feathers.

Can't wash her it's too cold at 0 here.

I assume I have to isolate have kennel she can stay in for a few days inside the coop.

What can I do now to stop bleeding I only have vetericyn and hen Healer with blue kote. Won't that cause frostbite issues to put on her now or is it OK?

I've applied pressure with dry washcloth but it's in such a hard spot on her face. Still bleeding.

No other injuries that's splatter from her shaking her head And trying to tuck it in for sleep.

Can I wash her gently with a warm washcloth then towel dry? She is curious and starting to mess with her back.

It's 17 in our coop now the run is about 0.

Thanks in advance! All are tucked in for the night so they can't see her yet which is helpful giving me time.

The 2nd leghorn has one cracked comb tip bleeding that's it.

Attachments

• 20221223_185319.jpg
    20221223_185319.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221223_185345.jpg
    20221223_185345.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221223_185336.jpg
    20221223_185336.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 8
Could she have suffered some frostbite in the last day or two, and got pecked about her head? Her wattles appear swollen. Corn starch, flour, styptic pencil, and blood stopp powder will help to stop bleeding. Hopefully, she hasn’t injured or cracked her beak. I would normally bring her inside to watch her closely overnight, but the temperatures in MN are probably so cold, that the temp difference might be too much for her. But she does need to be protected inside a dog crate or pen, so that she isn’t pecked. I’m not sure that I would use any product on her as long as she is out in the freezing coop. Plain Neosporin or Betadine would be good if she was kept above freezing.

Thanks for the reply.

I put some cornstarch on her 2 tips that were bleeding one was dripping pretty badly.

upon closer look at the beak it seems intact, I put cornstarch on that too but it’s in a hard spot to apply any pressure to it.

I put her in a kennel in the coop with lots of shavings, her side and back are pretty red from Her tucking her head in her feathers. Now it’s dried and am concerned she is going to pluck those feathers all out tomorrow in the light.

Yikes I hope all is ok tomorrow.
I will check on her again in an hour.

She has dried blood on her chest and and over her shoulder from tucking her face in. Now it's crunchy. She pulls on it and is bothered by it.

Bleeding obviously stopped thankfully. I ran out today and grabbed blood stopper so I have it handy for future.

She was inside the coop all day in the wire kennel. She ate and drank fine it was around 15 degrees. I don't have a second water heater so I'm just going to bring out water a few times and watch her drink it fresh. Tomorrow we will be gone for 6 to 7 hrs so I will water her tomorrow am 2 or 3 times before we go then it will have to wait til 7pm or so for more.

I took her out inside the coop twice today to keep checking her over and she popped into the lay box to lay the first time. Then I put her back in the kennel as others were gathering near.

Her wattles are back to normal. Dried blood around her face will need to figure out how best to wash her up. Especially the larger stiff patches over her shoulder.

It's going to be 38 on Wednesday I will have to wait to bathe her until then.

My friend in the next town over has had chickens for 30 years says just pop her in a small washtub and wash her in the bathtub quickly. Then towel off and lightly blow dry on the cool setting maybe lowest heat setting go back and forth. Then return her to the kennel/start reintro.

The garage isn't heated, the shed won't be much warmer than the outside air any given day so it's probably my only choice at this point.

Any other options give a shout out but I can't see myself trying to clean this up outside at all with no water access. Everything is brought out from the house to the chickens. To get her white again is going to take alot of rinsing I think. But who knows I have never done this.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

You can try to see if they peck at her now that the blood has dried and turned brown. It will eventually wear off if you don’t mind, but if you can bring her inside where it is warm to bathe her and dry, that would be best. Towel dry, then blow dry. Keep her inside for a few more hours, then back out. The picking at the stiff feathers and dried blood is concerning, so use your best judgement. Do they have any area in the coop to dust bathe?

You can try to see if they peck at her now that the blood has dried and turned brown. It will eventually wear off if you don’t mind, but if you can bring her inside where it is warm to bathe her and dry, that would be best. Towel dry, then blow dry. Keep her inside for a few more hours, then back out. The picking at the stiff feathers and dried blood is concerning, so use your best judgement. Do they have any area in the coop to dust bathe?
I put her out in the run for a few minutes as a test and they have high interest in her. So back into the kennel she went.

I will plan to bring her in and bathe her when I can.

Yes there is some open dirt she can bathe in in the run but I think I'll keep her away til she is washed up.

She is eating but wouldn't drink this am that I saw. I dipped her beak in then she did. I will be back at 7 to work with her again. She wants out I don't blame her.

Maybe I'll have to do the bath tomorrow rather than wait.

We bathed her yesterday and blew her dry in my smaller bathroom tub with the sprayer.
20221226_132741.jpg
She was calm and actually enjoyed it. Especially the dryer. She is not perfect but much improved.

We took time to feed her and give her lots of water inside.

Put her back in the run no issues at all no one taking any notice.

Except now she smells like coconut. 😅

She laid the same day.

All is well.

It's in the 20s and 30s for the next 10 days and I have Mushers arriving on Saturday I'll be ready for the next cold snap when it arrives.

Pretty hard when it's 90% humidity outside and 0 degrees and they are in the wrapped run all day. I never paid attention to winter humidity before chickens didn't even realize that was going to be a thing.

👍👍👍

Thanks for the advice and reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom