First intro to run

Uniqueusername

Chirping
Sep 3, 2020
Central Mississippi
My 5 week old chicks are healthy, happy, and growing like weeds. Their brooder is in a barn and we’ve been reducing their heat steadily. I’d like to start introducing them to their run for an hour or so during the day, when the weather is nice (60-70°F). Is it ok to give them a little supervised playtime in the run? I’d like for them to start getting used to being outside in a much more open area (the run is 10’x20’x6’ WxLxH) Also, if I do...how hard are they going to be to catch to put back in their brooder? ☺️ (And yes, these are our 1st chicks ever) AS ALWAYS, Thnx for the advice!

My 5 week old chicks are healthy, happy, and growing like weeds. Their brooder is in a barn and we’ve been reducing their heat steadily. I’d like to start introducing them to their run for an hour or so during the day, when the weather is nice (60-70°F). Is it ok to give them a little supervised playtime in the run? I’d like for them to start getting used to being outside in a much more open area (the run is 10’x20’x6’ WxLxH) Also, if I do...how hard are they going to be to catch to put back in their brooder? ☺ (And yes, these are our 1st chicks ever) AS ALWAYS, Thnx for the advice!
Could ya post some images of le chicks and le run and le barn?

Chicks fully feathered? What’s overnight temps?

If there’s a roosting spot attached to the run, and overnight temps are 50 or so..... id move them full time.

My 5 week old chicks are healthy, happy, and growing like weeds. Their brooder is in a barn and we’ve been reducing their heat steadily. I’d like to start introducing them to their run for an hour or so during the day, when the weather is nice (60-70°F). Is it ok to give them a little supervised playtime in the run? I’d like for them to start getting used to being outside in a much more open area (the run is 10’x20’x6’ WxLxH) Also, if I do...how hard are they going to be to catch to put back in their brooder? ☺ (And yes, these are our 1st chicks ever) AS ALWAYS, Thnx for the advice!
If you can let them out if it's enclosed. You'll definitely need to catch them to put them back.

I'd think it'd be ok to put them out in a totally safe area... on warm days... when catching try to just herd most of them back in or tempt with food.... NEVERRRRR use nets can easily damage them

Sure! Just be prepared they may not go frolicking into the yard like you imagine! When I first put my little ones out in the grass from the garage brooder they all huddled up in the little rabbit house I gave them for cover. It was pathetic. So don’t take it personally if they are freaked out at first :gig

Thnx to all for the feedback, friends! The chicks aren’t quite full-feathered yet, and we have some low 40°/high 30° temps coming later this week, so they aren’t ready to make the transition full-time. BUT today was warm and sunny (74°F) so we brought them into the run for a 1hr frolicking session. They did GREAT! They looked like 5 year olds playing soccer and stayed in a tight bunch for much of the time, but slowly spread out a bit to check things out. 2 of our most affectionate brooder babies solidified their status as “lap chickens” which was hilarious. It was also good to see them really stretch their wings and enjoy flying around a bit.

Thnx to all for the feedback, friends! The chicks aren’t quite full-feathered yet, and we have some low 40°/high 30° temps coming later this week, so they aren’t ready to make the transition full-time. BUT today was warm and sunny (74°F) so we brought them into the run for a 1hr frolicking session. They did GREAT! They looked like 5 year olds playing soccer and stayed in a tight bunch for much of the time, but slowly spread out a bit to check things out. 2 of our most affectionate brooder babies solidified their status as “lap chickens” which was hilarious. It was also good to see them really stretch their wings and enjoy flying around a bit.
Ugh you’re making me want more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom