First Java Breeding Project

SAZUGT

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
South East, AZ
I've had chickens for about 5 years now and have decided to get serious about a breed. I have chosen black Javas and have found it difficult to locate a readily available supply of hatching eggs or chicks so I'm hatching my own (saves money too
wink.png
) What I was wondering is in the main coop there is a dominant RIR rooster who breeds all the females. I pulled the Java rooster and 2 hens and put them in a breeding pen, to obviously isolate this. Since the break out into the breeding pen, I have seen the Java rooster mate both hens at least once daily (I know I'm missing a lot but if I see one I call it a good day!)

My question is how long before any eggs fertilized by the old rooster are out of the ladies and when will the pure Java genetics be there? I've read 2 weeks is how long a hen will stay fertilized after mating but does that change once she mates a new rooster? I've tried googling it and to be honest I don't even really know how to succinctly articulate my question so I'm posting it here! Help me out gang!!! And thanks in advance for any replies!

-Sazugt

I read something on this topic just a couple days ago...the answer I read was it takes 30 days for a hen to be "cleared" of a roosters sperm. Not sure about the terminology but that's what I got out of it.

Agrees, from all I've read 4 weeks would be a sure thing....
.....anything less would pretty much be a crap shoot.

If I wanted to breed pure,
I'd leave the hens alone for 3-4 weeks to keep laying,
clean out the pipes so to speak,
then add the chosen sire to their pen.

Back
Top Bottom