First large hatch with broody!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenGoesRuff, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    So excited! I went out to check my 2 broodies in the"Broody bin" coop (Loony bin:play on words b/c my broodies are crazy), and my chicks have started hatching! As of 8:00 I have a smoky Iowa Blue, 4 Birchen Iowa Blues, and 2 Silver Iowa Blues! I've been keeping up on tips from BYC and was just so thrilled I had to post! I'll try and add some pics in the morning! Through this I do have one question: One of the babies was cheeping, kicked out of the nest, stuck in the eggshell (membrane had dried and hardened) except for one foot that was free. the chick was getting cold(Its 68* outside) so I brought it inside, removed the hardened shell, and stuck it back under a broody. Did I condemn it or save it? I know you aren't supposed to interfere but I didn't know how long it would last or if it would be able to free itself. This is the 2nd hatch I've done, but the last one failed with only one chick surviving (now 11 weeks). Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    :jumpyCongrats on your hatch! :weee

3. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Update: The little guy I helped is doing just fine, and at least one more chick is hatching. Huge thunderstorm going on, so I tried to do a quick check to see if they were all doing okay. I'll try to get a clear picture this evening when its dry. So far 6 healthy looking chicks! Also, one of the Silvers is actually a silver Iowa blue/EE, the little beard (cue: Its so fluffy!!!) just gets me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by