First lay woo

Phwaah

Chirping
Sep 22, 2020
Australia
So today I finally found the secret srash of eggs. I had built a nesting box for the girls a few weeks ago but often came home to see it empty. But today something caught the corner of my eye and saw this magnificent stash of eggs all under the bush next to the box.

Have four girls, probably eggs have been sitting there for a few days. It's summer here but a very cool summer, temps of mid twenties. These eggs would still be safe to consume? I've washed them and placed them in the fridge.

So super excited and happy that the girls finally have laid their first egg hahahah

20210209_180100.jpg

Congrats! I don’t mean to destroy this incredible moment, but those eggs could’ve been sitting there for days, some even weeks, you don’t know how long they’ve been there. I’d put them in a plastic bag and seal it tight (just to be sure they are not going to explode all over your bin). Also eggs don’t need to be in the fridge, putting them in the fridge does nothing, you only need to put eggs in the fridge if you’ve already cooked them. She’ll have lots of beautiful eggs over the next few weeks, and you’ll know where to check next time.

They may or may not be safe to eat. Has it been raining or foggy at all? As long as the bloom remained dry/mostly dry they could be ok. If you decide to eat them, I would crack each one into a cup and if anything looks or smells off, don't eat them. And maybe cook them thoroughly as well as an extra precaution.

They may or may not be safe to eat. Has it been raining or foggy at all? As long as the bloom remained dry/mostly dry they could be ok. If you decide to eat them, I would crack each one into a cup and if anything looks or smells off, don't eat them. And maybe cook them thoroughly as well as an extra precaution.
Tomorrow do I just collect the eggs and place them in the kitchen and only rinse them when I am about to cook them?

Easy way to see if they are good is the float test. Put them in a bowl of water. Toss anything that floats.

They are fine for many days without being refrigerated, so unless you've had rain or really really heavy dew, they should be fine.

Crack them one at a time into a small bowl when you get ready to use them.. Don't eat them if the smell smacks you in the face.

Tomorrow do I just collect the eggs and place them in the kitchen and only rinse them when I am about to cook them?
First... answer this question....
Has it been raining or foggy at all?
I would not eat eggs that had been on the ground and gotten wet.

Easy way to see if they are good is the float test. Put them in a bowl of water. Toss anything that floats.
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

As previously mentioned:
When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Everyone is different and do things in different ways. Personally, I would wash the eggs you found and put them in the fridge. When I'm ready to eat one or to use any in a dish, I would crack them in a small dish and give them the sniff test. If they smell ok they are probably ok to use or eat. I found a small stash of eggs before and they were good. It appears that your birds are young and recently started laying. Often times when one bird lays in a spot others will lay their eggs there too. I also sell eggs. I don't wash them. I may let them sit out on the counter in a collecting basket for a day or two before I put them in cartons. After I put them in cartons I do refrigerate them. Any eggs I wash I save for myself and DH to eat. Good luck and have fun...

How you store eggs is entirely up to you.

Generally I refrigerate but don't wash - for me refrigeration is a must as I may end up hanging onto eggs for months sometimes (i.e. saving up for winter). If an egg is dirty enough to need washing I either don't eat it, or if it's not TOO bad then I wash and scrub in lukewarm water, and move it to the front of the line so it gets used next.

Back
Top Bottom