First lay

8ponygirl9

Chirping
Jan 23, 2018
hi guys!
I'm proud to say my ducks finally laid eggs! I have a concern... Is there a way to tell if they are fertile??? I have a female Saxony and what I believe to be a male muscovy.... When I went out to check on them this morning my male was the one sitting on them! I'm afraid to crack one open to enjoy with breakfast I'd be horrified if their was a baby inside! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I've never raised eggs before thanks!

Last edited:
hi guys!
I'm proud to say my ducks finally laid eggs! I have a concern... Is there a way to tell if they are fertile??? I have a female Saxony and what I believe to be a male muscovey.... When I went out to check on them this morning my male was the one sitting on them! I'm afraid to crack one open to enjoy with breakfast I'd be horrified if their was a baby inside! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated I've never raised eggs before thanks!
There will not be a baby started yet if this is the first day it was laid. If you wanted to crack it open to eat and check for fertility then I would do so. Just look for the bulls eye in the yolk. But you can wait for more people to chime in because this is my first year also.

There will not be a baby started yet if this is the first day it was laid. If you wanted to crack it open to eat and check for fertility then I would do so. Just look for the bulls eye in the yolk. But you can wait for more people to chime in because this is my first year also.
That makes me feel so much better thank you!

Also I don’t think males sit on the eggs at all with any breed ducks but I could be wrong there also.
That's what I thought also. when I sexed the four ducklings this one was the only one that had what looked like a male genitalia..... You never know till they get older I suppose!

9D6575FC-5862-4E20-AF16-35ADC0D002BB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom