First Litter! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KennyP, Jan 7, 2010.

1. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Im sure its in here somewhere but I dont have the time or patients to look it up. So here goes..... My chicks are due in two days (I believe), and I'm not sure what I should do with the Mom and eggs right now. Its gonna be about '13 degrees tonight and I'm wondering if I should move them in the garage wheres its alot warmer. They're in a nest about 3 feet off the ground. Is it ok to move the eggs and her inside? Will she stop sitting on them if i move them? Some friends are telling me to let nature take its course and she'll take care of everything, but my wife is really worried. I have a place and a dog cage set up for them after they are born but I would rather move them now. Any suggestions from anyone? Where do I go frome here?HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    She & the brood probably be fine either way.

Many people would say not to move the eggs so close to hatch (if this were an incubator, you would be in "lockdown"). You could set up a heat lamp for her where she is. It may be 13 degrees outside, but it is much warmer under her tush.

HOWEVER- the new chicks would probably be more comfortable in a warmer, draft free area. I doubt she'll leave the nest, especially if the new nest is in a crate and in a warmer place.

EDITED: I am sorry I was not much help. I would say leave her, but I am also the person who puts on a sweatshirt when it dips below 75 and worries her chickens will freeze when it is 45 degrees at night.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Hi KennyP & [​IMG]

I would leave them. She should be fine as long as there are no drafts. Move them after the eggs hatch..you don't want to disrupt the eggs as the chicks should be in position to hatch [​IMG] Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Well, I moved a girl once that close to hatch, but it was an extreme situation. She did fine, and hatched them the next day. It mostly depends on the hen. I think if I had a dog crate I could lock them in I would move them, but I am not an expert. Mostly, I am worried about that nest 3 feet off the ground thing- really possible for the babies to fall out of that nest, and if they do, mom will have to choose between staying with the others, or getting the lost one back.

5. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Thank y'all so much for the replys. I feel better already. Please keep replying if anyone has any other advice...... Also, The last two days one of Rhode Island reds is kicking the Momma out of her nest and trying to sit on her eggs. I keep having to take the Rhode Island out but she keeps getting back in and they both are sqeezing in the nest. Is this normal? whats going on? Anyone?

1-Smoking hot Wife, two boys,(teens), 1 lab,2 Dachshunds (Henry aka The Fonz, cause he's so cool) and Hencey, 1 Rat terrier, 2 Mini Donkeys, 1 rooster (Napoleon)(small guy), and 18 Hens! and Horses coming this year!

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay the other one has gone broody......Typically this would be lock down time, but my concern with your set up is that the mother will not be able to brood her little chicks....She can hatch them, but it is preferably that the broody hen is on the ground so that the babbies don't fall and hurt themself or get trampled by the other birds.

I had one broody nest out babies in a higher up nest but I robbed the babies from under her and put them in the home brooder. I was glad I did as experience earlier prooved her to be a great brooder but a very poor mother...

Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by