First loft, pigeons, and training! Advice?

A show type isn't a bad idea! there's lot to choose from. I think that would be best. You will end up losing one of them if you are only two flying. :(
That would be sad. Could you let some show pigeons walk/fly around your yard while you're out there or would they be easy prey? Any recommendations on pretty show pigeons? I don't love the crazy looking ones just something simple and pretty.

That would be sad. Could you let some show pigeons walk/fly around your yard while you're out there or would they be easy prey? Any recommendations on pretty show pigeons? I don't love the crazy looking ones just something simple and pretty.
You could, but to be 100% honest, they are very content to be just be in their cage, assuming it is a good size. But, if you are out there, it could be fine. But just know there is always risk. As far as breeds? Give me a second...

Here's some pictures of show birds. Most are great for being confined, others will miss flight. Ask any more questions you have! there are a bunch of post with pics, so take your time! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pigeon-talk.1276029/post-21881269
Thank you so much! I don't know why but I am very drawn to pigeons that's feathers aren't too crazy. The classic frill pigeons was very simplistic and beautiful. I think if I were to get a show breed I would choose that one. Do they like to fly? Is a 3x3x3 loft for a single pair adequate? How big should their aviary be?

Thank you so much! I don't know why but I am very drawn to pigeons that's feathers aren't too crazy. The classic frill pigeons was very simplistic and beautiful. I think if I were to get a show breed I would choose that one. Do they like to fly? Is a 3x3x3 loft for a single pair adequate? How big should their aviary be?
They are very beatiful. I like them. They would be fine without flying, but would enjoy it. Could you make the aviary 3 ft deep and 4 feet long for them? @WVduckchick has old English frills, she can tell you more.

One breed that I think your would like, that's wasnt in those pics, is Portuguese tumblers, ports for short. We need more people to raise them! They are a dying breed, slowly regaining interest. They would be okay I'm a small aviary, as the flying aspect have been mostly bred out of them, in most lines. (Thankfully mine still have good flying ability) . It's up to you though! where are you located? I have tons of contacts who raise them, if you are interested.

IMG_20200109_113030.jpg
IMG_20200721_142323.jpg
IMG_20190509_135541_kindlephoto-236762753.jpg
IMG_20191027_125409.jpg
IMG_20191027_125420.jpg
IMG_20200427_142011.jpg
IMG_20190604_153928.jpg
IMG_20190509_135645.jpg
IMG_20200111_103436.jpg
IMG_20200111_103431.jpg

They are very beatiful. I like them. They would be fine without flying, but would enjoy it. Could you make the aviary 3 ft deep and 4 feet long for them? @WVduckchick has old English frills, she can tell you more.

One breed that I think your would like, that's wasnt in those pics, is Portuguese tumblers, ports for short. We need more people to raise them! They are a dying breed, slowly regaining interest. They would be okay I'm a small aviary, as the flying aspect have been mostly bred out of them, in most lines. (Thankfully mine still have good flying ability) . It's up to you though! where are you located? I have tons of contacts who raise them, if you are interested.

View attachment 2284664View attachment 2284665View attachment 2284666View attachment 2284667View attachment 2284668View attachment 2284669View attachment 2284670View attachment 2284671View attachment 2284672View attachment 2284673
These are very beautiful too. I live in Northern New Jersey so if anyone knows someone NYC, PA, or NNJ that sells either of these breeds that would be great. I am still exploring my options. The thing is my town doesn't allow pigeons coops or rabbit hutches so it would have to be an underground operation. I could definitely set up a loft and an aviary like you described without being noticed but that is why I was just going to start with a pair.

The thing is my town doesn't allow pigeons coops
man :( mine doesn't either, but I have 40. :)

do They specifically say no pigeons, or just poultry? How is it stated?

You mentioned online school,,, depending on what you are studying, some people have gained permission to raise them while in school, if it's benefiting their career. But, either way, you can get by with a pair no problem! ;)

It doesn't matter if you are out there or not... if they are hungry and determined they don't care that you are there. I have actually personally been hit by a hungry hawk in the past. It was chasing a little tiny finch, and the finch flew between my legs and the hawk didn't stop, turn or anything and just hit me right in the back of the legs. Show/fancy pigeons are great if you only have 2. And don't worry about not flying them. If they have a nice sized aviary they will be perfectly happy because to be honest fancy pigeons for the most part don't even want to fly. They might take one lap around the loft, and then land and sit there as hawk bait.

man :( mine doesn't either, but I have 40. :)

do They specifically say no pigeons, or just poultry? How is it stated?

You mentioned online school,,, depending on what you are studying, some people have gained permission to raise them while in school, if it's benefiting their career. But, either way, you can get by with a pair no problem! ;)
They say no hutches, pigeon lofts, chicken coops, etc. I am not sure about the actual keeping of the pigeons. I thought it would be doable to keep a pair under the radar. Thank you for the input. I was very worried.

Back
Top Bottom