First Molt

Molting is triggered by length of daylight,

More interesting data to share: (please don't laugh, first time chook parents, we are data nerds, keep track of every egg, time, size everyday) Please see the attached graph

Each spice girl's (our chooks) three day moving average egg size line stopped coincide with when they started to molt!!!! we thought the egg laying was strictly related to day lights, but they are all different. The only two lines that are continuing are the two that have not molted, are still laying (but slow down to one every other day)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.08.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.08.08 PM.png
    609.8 KB · Views: 2
That isn’t the experience I’ve had. We had a few really hot days in October (I live in Australia this was about middle of spring), after about 3-4 days the temperature went back to being cold again. This set of a few of my chickens need to moult. I checked they’re coop I couldn’t find any mites, parasites, anything. I checked them over and they were completely normal except they were moulting. After about 3-4 weeks they had finished and went back to laying.
I added to my post to add 'weasel' words........nothing is written in stone.

but they are all different.
Yes, they are.
How old, in months, are the birds on your graph?

How old, in months, are the birds on your graph?

We got them as baby chicks at the end of June 2020. Didn't know to ask or pay attention to hatch date, I think they ranged from a few days to a week. so the graph shown started in Jan 1 2021, they should be at least 6 moths old on Jan 1, 2021.

The flat lines were the broody hens! And the lines that stopped (will be flat when they resume laying) belong to the girls who either have molted or are in the process.

Peppercorn and Clove are the only two laying hens now.

Back
Top Bottom