First Newborn

achnaha burdz

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2015
Achnaha Scotland
Our first chick hatched overnight, 0900hrs here, and am fascinated, once again, by the natural behaviour of animals. Ronnie, the proud dad, like most males, is all over the place and showing obvious signs that all is not normal, the bluebells are intrigued and being nosey and Lily the collie has decided she now has more of a flock to look after. Helen s upset she has to go to work and I am quite content that with everyone else flapping around nature will take its course. Still 3 eggs waiting to hatch, so fingers crossed.

Yes, sounds like there is much excitement and expectation surrounding your coop. So good that you are able to see and appreciate how the new arrival has affected everyone.

Congratulations on your first hatch, and good luck with the rest. Hope the joy and excitement continues. Keep us posted.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
2 healthy chicks, 2 eggs without a pip. As it was our broody hens 1st time being allowed to hatch her own I didn't want to put too many in, she is 3 years old & always been discouraged by her previous keeper, so 2 healthy birds are good. She will not relax to feed, or show the young how to feed, she still concerned more over the eggs than the living. I am pretty sure today is day 23 so now feel the gambling time is reduced regarding the other 2. Any thoughts? It is also our 1st attempt at raising hatchlings, I had both chicks eating this morning so quite happy that they are going to manage but could do with mother hens help!

2 healthy chicks, 2 eggs without a pip. As it was our broody hens 1st time being allowed to hatch her own I didn't want to put too many in, she is 3 years old & always been discouraged by her previous keeper, so 2 healthy birds are good. She will not relax to feed, or show the young how to feed, she still concerned more over the eggs than the living. I am pretty sure today is day 23 so now feel the gambling time is reduced regarding the other 2. Any thoughts? It is also our 1st attempt at raising hatchlings, I had both chicks eating this morning so quite happy that they are going to manage but could do with mother hens help!

remember the chicks can go 3 days without eating and drinking because of the absorbed yolk. are you able to candle the 2 remaining eggs?

I don't think it will hurt to let the hen set another day or two. If the eggs smell bad, though, remove them. People have talked about rotten eggs exploding.

We have 2 chicks, left the other eggs 3 days, we let the mother & chicks

out with the rest of flock for an hour today, all was good. They have grown somewhat from these pictures last Monday I think

All is going well, learning the natural behaviour is fun, they moved house last night, which seemed to go well, & is hopefully predator proof. They have integrated with the rest of the flock & all, just about, seems well.

Good news. Easy flock integration is another bonus of letting a broody do the work. The only drawback I found was the chicks grew up to be much less tame than ones I brooded myself.

I finally figured out your user name. It's your town.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom