First Night in Coop - Questions

pdxblossom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So tonight is their first night out in the coop. They are 2 heavily feathered light brahmas and 1 black australorp. Now that it's dark outside, I'm having second thoughts and am kind of nervous. If only I had purchased a baby monitor!

The temp will drop to 61 tonight. Is that too cold? They have been without a heat lamp (indoors) since they were two weeks old (they are now between 6 - 7 weeks) and the brooder temperature has dropped at night in the un-heated sun room.

Should I try to set up the heat lamp tonight or will they be fine?

I'm one nervous chicken mama.

If theyre feathered out good, they should be fine snuggled up with each other. But if it would make you feel easier about it just stick a light out there. It wont hurt anything. Here in Ky we are having a heat wave so ive got a fan on mine. Was really stressed today at work worrying about mine. Loaded them down with ice water and wetted their dusting spots. All seemed well when i got home.
big_smile.png

My husband just suggested I go sleep outside. Seems he's a little less worried than I am
smile.png
. I'd feel better if they'd stay on the dang roost . . .

Between the excitement of having the coop finished, the house back to ourselves and worrying about their welfare I'm not gonna get much sleep!

Took mine about 3 weeks to get on the roosts they wanted to huddle all bunched up in a corner. So i'd go out every night and put them on the roost. It just takes time. Some more than others. I just try things and if it dont work i try something else. Its a learning game. Not all chickens or owners are alike so just take your time and be patient trust me thats a big one. Im dying for mine to start laying,lol

61 should be fine as long as they are most of the way feathered. and they should also snuggle together which will keep em' even warmer!!!
wink.png

Well, they survived their first night outside! Though I'm not sure I did . . . I'm sooooo tired. They cuddled up in the corner and spent the night in a little feather ball. So cute.

I kept putting them on the roost but they kept hopping down. Funny, mostly because they would sleep on the roost in the brooder. Right now we have four roosts in the coop/run at various heights. Hopefully they'll find one they like.

I just went out for another peek at them. Now I've got to cram in 8 hours of good sleep before I leave for work in an hour.

big_smile.png

Thats funny, mine had their first night last night also. Had to put them in 3 times, kept running past me to get out. Also huddled in the corner but no longer running out when I open the door. It was so clean and fresh when I opened the door, not like the brooder. I fully expected to see poo everywhere.

Once they have feathered out they are fine in much colder temperatures than 61*F. Most chicks fully feather out at 4 to 5 weeks.

As far as sleeping on the floor, mine sleep huddled on the floor until they are 10 to 12 weeks old, then they learn to roost by themselves. They will perch on the roosts during the day but prefer sleeping crowded on the floor with their buddies, probably getting comfort and companionship until they get brave enough to roost on their own. I see no reason to try to force them to roost before they are ready.

Quote:
Same exact thing with my first group of chickens. Our new chicks have been roosting at night for a while (when they don't get kicked off by the older hens) because they see the others doing it.

Back
Top Bottom