First night in the coop

khable

Songster
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
LaGrangeville, NY
Hi all,

My 5 1/2 week old babies spent their first night in the big girl coop last night.

It was a bit rough at first. They are already used to their routine of being outside in their pen and then me bringing them inside in the brooder at dusk.

They paniced when I put them in the coop. They looked sooo scared and when I peered in thru the window they were trying to fly to me but kept landing on the wire mesh.
sad.png
I felt sooo bad.

But they settled down a bit and dog piled on each other. I think I checked on them a handful of times.
roll.png

This morning all was well. 3 of them were even on the roost!!
yippiechickie.gif

I took them out and put them in their little outside pen. (regular one attached to the coop isn't done yet)

And they are as happy as happy can be.

PFEW... glad that was over!!

woot.gif

mine will be ready for the coop in mere days. I'm so excited. I feel so bad putting them in the brooder every night because they've nearly outgrown it!

Good job on a successful transition. I wonder how you slept knowing they were out there...

I put my guys/gals out in the coop last weekend...they were 3.5weeks old. Temps in rochester ny are around 75-80 during the days and down into the 50s-60s overnight...so far all is well. They are all sitting up on the roosts in the morning when I get there.

New batch of babies arrive tomorrow!

I feel for you! I havent even put mine outside yet. I know its time. But im not sure if I have my coop and run safe enough....freaks me out.
sad.png
Im going crazy ove rmy chickens.
tongue.png

Homesteader-
This is how I feel! I know we have skunks around so that probably means raccoons are here too. There's so much to think about when predator proofing.

Back
Top Bottom