First night out. Oye.

sfgwife

Crowing
May 19, 2017
North Cakalaki
Poor rapturkens first night out. They have been unhappy loudly expressin how we humans are neglectin them at the door to the pen for the last almost hour. Durin the day they have all been on the roosts wanderin and nappin. But can one single one go to roost now? Oh no! So we must pace. :rolleyes:But finally one decided to lay in the sandbox so now we have six baby rapturkens in the sandbox all snuggled down together. Why is this not acceptable you say? ... cause it is in a corner an open corner. I don't want somethin to come snatchin baby rapturken noggins through the fence. :hit.

So. Do i... put sandbox in the middle of said pen so no critter can happen along an easy meal? Or go out after dark and put rapturkens up on the roost?

Put them on the roost using as dim a light as possible after dark then cut the light off so they don't be jumping down. Might have to do that a couple more night but they will learn.

Put them on the roost using as dim a light as possible after dark then cut the light off so they don't be jumping down. Might have to do that a couple more night but they will learn.

Thanks darlin. We will try it then! I guess what surprised us is that durin the day they are all about the roosts. Even to nap on them. So figured they would go to bed there to but nah couldn't be that easy lol. The chickens just did it. We are new to all of this so are tryin get it right.

Thanks darlin. We will try it then! I guess what surprised us is that durin the day they are all about the roosts. Even to nap on them. So figured they would go to bed there to but nah couldn't be that easy lol. The chickens just did it. We are new to all of this so are tryin get it right.
They do not Know they are suppose to roost/sleep in there---they have to be taught---just like a kid---to sleep in their room/place instead of in yours---LOL.

They do not Know they are suppose to roost/sleep in there---they have to be taught---just like a kid---to sleep in their room/place instead of in yours---LOL.

will you come teach this 150 lb bratty wolfhound that insists his sleepin spot is at the foot of my bed this? :lau:lau:lau

So. We got one to stay on the roost and the rest had an absolute fit cause we were tryin kill em doncha know.... So off we left them with the lone straggler up on the roost all comfy and cozy by her lonesome.... twenty minutes later go sneakin peekin at em again.... everybody had a spot all snuggly together. Go rapturkens! I got up twice more cause hubby restless legs were drivin me nutso and i looked at em... still up on their roost. Yay! Everybody was alive and hungry this mornin. Night one for the win!

Now. If we could just convince the two hens to roost. They have been here two weeks and refuse. They do go into their closed space with no fussin now so that is good. We have to put "squatter" in first then the other follows along merrily.

The last two nights they have been good lil rapturkens and put themselves to bed! Yay! Thanks so much.

It is kinda funny. When the roos start puttin the pullets to bed the rapturkens start their last dinner and then go to pickin their spots for the night now. :). Both are in separate pens but in the yard... roos and pullets have a tractor for right now and rapturkens are in an old dog pen closer to the house.

Back
Top Bottom