first night out question

Lady Who

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2015
Dawsonville GA
tonight im going to keep my chickens in the coop but weather bug says its going to be 58F
i have 5 week old and 6 week old chicks, there is 6 of them. should i let them huddle or put a heat lamp in there? i really dont have a power outlet near the coop so just wanna ask

If you mean 25 feet by 25 feet, that is a massive coop and I doubt any kind of heat lamp would be effective in that sized space. If you mean 25 inches by 25 inches, then it would be way too small for 6 chicks to fit comfortably.

If you mean 25 feet by 25 feet, that is a massive coop and I doubt any kind of heat lamp would be effective in that sized space. If you mean 25 inches by 25 inches, then it would be way too small for 6 chicks to fit comfortably.

X 2 on the issue of clarifying whether you are talking feet or inches, a very considerable difference there. Also, keep in mind, OP, that the "coop" is just the actual housing unit structure, not the attached pen. As to the heat lamps effect in a large area, it isn't about warming the entire area - just as in the brooder you will have a warm area directly under/around the lamp and the remaining area will be cooler - optimal setup.

its inches and its a coop until they get bigger (really didnt think i was getting 6 of them but it just happaned)

that is barely 4 square feet and is not large enough of an area even for the age they are now.
At the age of your birds now you would want to provide 1.5-2 square feet of unobstructed space per bird (unobstructed means be sure that this space is in addition to the space occupied by feed and water containers, etc)

Last edited:
Do those measurements include nesting boxes? I know in my coop that adds another 20"x 14" in space to the 24x23" "living area".

Nest boxes should not be included in such calculations - they are not, and should not be used as, living area. How many birds do you have living in this 24X23" living area in your coop?

Back
Top Bottom