First night outside?? And coop question

JBavar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Okay, my youngest chick is 5 weeks old on Monday. I think the oldest is 10ish weeks, and I have a roughly 8 week old (Not certain, but they're fully feathered and much bigger). Am I being overprotective to put the heat lamp outside for the 5 week old tonight? The low will be 66.

I'd rather not have the heat lamp out there because I'm paranoid of the fire risk. It's not inside the coop at all, just shining in through the ventilation holes. But I'm also a little worried to not have it out there for the youngest because this would be her first time without it. BUT she cuddles with one of the bigger birds...so maybe she'd be okay without it??

They've been outside all day without the heat lamp, but it was 75 today.

Also, I have this coop: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419DqZ0NEzL.jpg

And I covered the window hole and added 7 (1 inch diameter) holes at the top for ventilation. Is this enough for ventilation? I covered the window hole because it will be winter soon and I don't want the wind to blow right in on any of the birds. The window hole is right at roost level....don't know what the designers of this thing were thinking.

Last edited:
They've had their heatlamp the last two nights out there and they've been fine, though they definitely huddle near the end of the hen house where the lamp is.
I want to wean them off of it, I'm just not sure how quickly I should do it. Already they're not getting nearly the heat they were getting last week, since the heat lamp is not even in the hen house. It's shining through a vent hole, just warming the house a little on one side.

Back
Top Bottom