First night outside- is this what I do?

mamahennorth

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
Hello BYC Community. I'm new to raising chickens. I incubated and hatched 6 lovely bantams, but sadly 4 were taken by a fox. I'm now left with two lovely little cockerels (at least I think they're cockerels). They are 6 weeks old, and getting a bit too big for their brooder box, and very vocal when I bring them inside at night. I know from 6 weeks they can go outside permanently, but their coop is not within eyesight, and they just seem too little to spend the night in it yet, as it is so far away! At the moment, they spend all day in this run (see pics), right outside my window so I can see them (sometimes free ranging when I'm outside). It has a little house for them. Should I let them stay outside in this run that they're used to, and close them into the little house at bedtime, and let them out in the morning? There isn't any roosting bars in it, its literally just a nesting box I think? If so, do I put food and water inside as well? Or should I keep them in their indoor brooder box a bit longer? Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8733.PNG
    IMG_8733.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8731.PNG
    IMG_8731.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
Where were they located when the fox took the other four chicks? I assume it wasn't the pen shown in your photos?

It was this pen, it had a loose hinge which the fox managed to push open. All fixed now, very sturdy, and help down with concrete slabs was you can see.

If the coop that cannot be seen from your house is secure, they should be fine but I understand your apprehension. Make sure that whatever you decide that bantams of that age are also potential prey for rats, snakes and even mice, especially with only two chicks. And those predators can crawl through very small openings.

Back
Top Bottom