First one, wrong end!!!!

Momma, you tried to save the poor thing, you didnt do it any harm you were trying to give it a fighting chance.
hugs.gif

Have you had most of the shrink wrapped Momma? or were some hatched good?
Thank you Sally. I did try. I really wish it had turned out better.
And no, the others seem to be fine. The ones that have hatched anyway. I guess humidity could be the culprit for the others that have not yet hatched.

th.gif
I'm so sorry to hear that
hugs.gif

Look, I've done quite a few assisted hatches, some make it and some don't. And there's nothing you can do about it if nature decided that chick is not meant to live. I remember my first assist (the chick in my avatar) went so well and the chick was fine. Then my second assist was the most beautiful chick, but she was severely handicapped. Often we need to help because the chick is malpositioned, or because it lost it's egg tooth or because the shell was too hard or something and the chick is fine (look at Ajani!). So, as long as you tried and did your best and I know you did! If the chick didn't make it don't blame yourself, O.K? You tried and you did a great job, but we're fighting nature here and sometimes we win and sometimes she wins. As long as we learn from it every time.

You've learned from this experience and others who read this thread learns from it too. Next time you hatch you will know what to do and when and how to do it and you will be more confident, I'm sure! And if you have questions or need a second opinion or just some moral support you know you can count on me and Sally.
Thank you too. Luckily family was in town today and we had to leave right after it passed. It helped a lil in getting my mind off of it. That whole process was kinda traumatic. I didn't feel as good about it as the first assist. Once I could see what was going on, I knew there was clearly something not right about it. I am trying not to feel guilty. I could clearly never be a surgeon though, ha, I can't imagine how it would feel to lose a person after trying to help it. The chick was bad enough.

And you are SO right, I very much learned from the experience and I really do hope that this post helps others. I hope the pictures are not too gory and gross for this site. But I think they can be useful to someone in the same shoes.

I appreciate you and Sally so much. It is so nice to have someone help guide you through this when you are a first timer!
hugs.gif

im so sorry to here about your little chick you tried doh thats all anybody could do is try.
hugs.gif
i am so sorry if i am making this about me but i just got my incubator back from being repaired and i am wondering i have a brooder and a 250 watt infered heat lamp i am wandering if that is good enough or to hot or to cold and how high should it be above the chicks thanks.

im so sorry to here about your little chick you tried doh thats all anybody could do is try.
hugs.gif
i am so sorry if i am making this about me but i just got my incubator back from being repaired and i am wondering i have a brooder and a 250 watt infered heat lamp i am wandering if that is good enough or to hot or to cold and how high should it be above the chicks thanks.
Aim for a brooder temperature of around 95* and lower the temperature (raise the lamp) every week, reducing the temperature by ±5* each time. Make sure you place it over the brooder so there are warm and cooler spots and the chicks can decide where they are comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom