First pip! How long until zipping starts? HELP!

I have only hatched chicks out once and I did help out one that had gotten "stuck" in the shell. Here is a thread that will help instruct you if you think you need to help them out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316
I am not telling you to help them out, it is hard to tell if they need help from a picture. I waited until my chick was peeping a lot less and moving around a lot less before I decided to intervene. The chick I helped was ready to hatch since the yolk was fully absorbed and there was no blood in the inner membrane when I removed the chick from the shell. It is a tough call on whether to intervene or not. If the chick is still really actively trying to hatch, I would wait especially since you have another pipped egg in there. Good luck!
hugs.gif

Edited so you can see the link better

Last edited:
The chick has only so many hours of air once they pip into the air sac. They then take that time to pip the outer shell. From that point most chicks will rest and get up the energy to zip. This can take over 24 hours to do. As long as you see movement andhear pipping, I say leave it alone.

Help!! the chicks have hatched while I was gone, one is doing fine, the other is still wet and part of the egg memebrane is attahced to his back, what do I do or should I just leave it on.
54075_100_3126.jpg

are they drying out and fluffed up? And is the membrane still stuck to the one. If it is, you can take it out and get a wet q-tip and dampen it in some warm water. Then rub the q-tip over the stuck part and slowly and carefully remove.

Back
Top Bottom