First Pip on 19th day and then silence.....

aonis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
So all my eggs pipped (sp?) last night around 7-8pm on the 19th day of incubation. I took the incubator off of the auto-turn cradle and shut the vents to 1/3 open for extra humidity. I could hear the chicks in their eggs and all was very exciting.

It's now 7am, 12hrs later, and nothing is happening! Is this normal? Did something go terribly wrong? I feel kind of at a loss.......

any advice would be sooooo helpful.

let me add to this:

I opened the incubator in order to take out the bars keeping the eggs in place. The instructions told me to do this (I am freaking out because everyone seems to say that is a terrible idea). Secondly my little thermometer/hydrometer says 99.4 and 65% humidity. I don't know if that it RH but I doubt it and what would 65% humidity be when converted to RH??

I'm sure everything's ok...it's the 19th day & hatching is appx. 21 days for chickens. Be patient for now. Some do come early & some late according to incubator conditions.

Your temp & humidity level is great....I'm just having my coffee & not sure what you mean by RH.

It was fine to take the auto turner out...not a problem to do this, but in the future...take it out on the 18th day.

Sit tight & good luck!!!
smile.png

FIrst chick hatched! so many to go!!!

Should I take it out of the incubator? Or leave it till the rest hatch?

Quote:
I'd wait until more hatch before removing it. The first one can stay in the inc. for a day or two and will be fine. Just make sure the ones you decide to move are dry before you move them to the brooder.

thanks ascorbic.

the one just hatched out of the egg an hour ago and another just popped out 5min ago. The unzipping went pretty swiftly, under an hour.

they are all eggs from a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster we had that was recently taken down by a bobcat which is very sad but at least we'll have some of his progeny. They will be some strange mixes because the hens are Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and Auraucanas.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom