First possible case of frostbite

Eryniel

Songster
6 Years
Dec 28, 2017
West, TX
I got home from work today and went to check on my chickens when I noticed 2 small black spots on my hens comb. It’s not on the tips, so I’m not sure if it’s frostbite or not. Can y’all tell if it is? She’s a RIR who just turned a year old last month.

AD676564-715A-4A4A-98B7-621202742D8A.jpeg

AECACB2E-4DFA-482A-A91A-CD5EB35208E9.jpeg

The mosquitos were really bad this year. We just had a cold snap here the past 2 days, so I dhavent seen them this week, but last week I did. :hit

If it is frostbite edges will discolor and may lose areas affected. If this happens need to winterize coop. Block all direct drafts especially bottom ones or ones in front of roosts. Tape over with plastic on outside with closed windows. Leave top vents for ventilation. Curtains over windows on inside and pop doors or nesting boxes help block drafts. Make sure coop dry/clean. Wet and cold puts them at risk. Make sure they go in at night when below thirty degrees. If room in coop can put straw inside and insulate walls with bails of it. Straw is warmer bedding. See articles on winterizing. I tarped my coop/run. I closed windows and covered with plastic I left my top vent open. Have curtains over inside window. Keep bedding clean and dry. I added fireproof K and H heating pad to coop and on when below thirties and heated base for water fountain.

The mosquitos were really bad this year. We just had a cold snap here the past 2 days, so I dhavent seen them this week, but last week I did. :hit
It's probably pox than. It will run it's course in 4-6 weeks. Sometimes it gets much worse before it gets better. There's no treatment as it's a virus like the common cold is.

My poor girl. Thank you for the info! I’ll make sure they get all the vitamins and care that need. *goes off grumbling about stupid mosquitoes*

Back
Top Bottom