First post, cross breeding question!

EmiliaM

Chirping
Jan 5, 2019
Hello there!

I can’t tell you what a help this forum has been through all kinds of questions my first year with chickens! Thank you all. I finally decided to register and start bugging you with questions.

Looks like I have a cream brabanter rooster (about 4 months old and starting to get some flamboyant iridescent tail feathering). I technically can’t keep roosters, so I’ll have to rehome him, but if I keep him for a while after he crows and I try to breed him with a hen, what mix should I go for?

Lavender Orpington
White frizzled Cochin
Cream legbar
Blue or paint silkie
Ayam cemani/RIR cross
Blue splash marans

Or is every one of these too weird to try?! The brabanter is kind of crazy looking on his own.

Thanks so much!

I'm making a guess at the genetics of cream brabanters. I'm guessing they're gold coloured, but with a gold inhibitor, on a black spangled background.
So s/s, ig/ig, i+/i+, Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg, Db/Db. Probably on a birchen or duckwing background.

EDT: found a relevant post by nicalandia. Birchen background. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chamois-brabanter-project.1259109/

Based on that guess:
LO = Solid Black.
WFC = ????? (cochins are recessive white, making it pretty much impossible to know genetics) EDT2: Half will be frizzled, though.
CL = Pretty much CL colouration, but with a lot of leakage. Possible spangled leakage. Roosters will be barred.
AC/RIR = half black (possible leakage) half columbian wheaten with a lot of weird spangled leakage.
BSM = Solid Blue.

EDT: Also, they should all have slight crests and be bearded to a greater or lesser extent. Don't ask me about comb types, because i haven't a clue.

Thank you! I learned so much just from reading that (you inspired me to go read about the lavender gene too). Kind of leaning toward the frizzled Cochin now just to have more frizzling in my life.

24F95662-3DBF-4935-BEE5-23A63A05DCEB.jpeg
Hi Sylvie!

Just wanted to update with results. Brabanter with frizzled cochin in front (they all have some version of dad’s coloring, half are frizzled), and with BSM in the back, solid blue. You helped me decide and your genetics are spot on. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom