First Post From a Chicken Virgin.Full Grown Egg Laying Hens vs Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thart13, Mar 7, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] I also agree with chicks. When I first started my first were 2 months old, even that young they were not as friendly as the ones I have raised from chicks. I raised 2 roosters from 10 days old and have never had a problem with them. Being as you re in Florida I would search for breeds that handle the warm weather better. I have 2 Turken aka Naked Necks. They are kinda weird looking I think cute but they handle hot and cold weather well. Do a google search for Henderson Breed Chart it will tell you cold/het hardy and egg laying ability.

2. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken raising, and [​IMG]

I'd recommend getting baby chicks, since they're so cute and it's rewarding to watch them grow into their beautiful adult selves.

Also, I cannot stress this enough: Do your research beforehand to determine which breed would best fit your family's preference, situation and needs. Some breeds make better pets than others. Your more mellow breeds will be more of a pleasure to raise. Some breeds can be aggressive, flighty and crazy and hate human interaction.

Here are some breeds who people swear by as far as production, temperament and resistance to climate:

Australorps - they're sweethearts, very sociable to people, adorable and set the world record for most eggs laid by one bird - 364 eggs in 365 days.

Orpingtons - they're great egg-layers, have calm, mellow personalities, tame really well and have very soft feathers.

Easter-Eggers - Okay, so this isn't considered a "pure" breed; EEs are a mix of Ameraucana/Araucana and any other bird. They lay beautiful eggs that can range from blue to green to pink, and people say they're the sweetest birds in the flock. A lot of people on here love their EEs.

Sussex - they're very good egg-layers and they have a lot of personality to them. The speckled varieties have especally beautiful feathers and they make good pets. They're also quieter than most breeds.

These are just a few breeds to consider. Good luck on your endeavor, and happy chicken raising! [​IMG]

3. jenesis536

jenesis536 Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I agree - go with the chicks. While it will take longer for you to get eggs, it will be easier integrating 5 together if they start out as chicks. Also, the kids will enjoy them more because they have a chance to get to know them from the beginning, and they won't fear them as much. My husband did not want chickens, but because I got them as babies he got to know them and grew fond of them. He tries holding them more than I do now that they are grown. He even let me get more babies.

ETA: Out of my first batch, I have a black australorp (shy), 2 light brahmas, an EE and a Delaware. While none of them really want to be held, they are all quiet and docile. The Delaware is the most social and comes right up to all of us including the kids and is the easiest to catch and hold. I expect she'll be the first to lay. The rest are slower to mature. Some of the breeds that are early layers seem to be the more flighty, loud and agressive breeds but definitely not in all cases or breeds.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. thart13

thart13 Hatching

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks for the great advice. Since everyone replied back that I should get chicks for the kids and wife I will now get chicks. Time to plan and build the coop.

Thanks again for everything!

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    ahhh A chicken virgin ... you don't see many of those these days. ( oh hush nana) I agree w/ the above majority, Chicks are great and this is the perfect time. Jump in, but remember float~ies
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ... [​IMG]

6. Whimsy

Whimsy Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Do your research on breeds one I would stay away from are leghorns, they are very flighty. Orpingtons are great and gentle birds as are Rocks. My husband disliked the birds last year when we first got them and agreed to build the coop only because he thought I would tire of chickens [​IMG] . ( He then could use the shed for tools)

I am not sure who spends more time with the girls now! When I brought home 20 EE's pullets yesterday a eyebrow was not even batted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: