First post from Atlanta, GA...hello, and no eggs yet!

BlueEggCo-op

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 29, 2009
Atlanta, GA
My son and I have been lurking around this site since June - we've found it very helpful and appreciate all the thoughtful posts. Tucker got lots of great design ideas for our coop from this very site, and sent off for 25 Americaunas (maybe I should say Easter Eggers?) born on July 7th. July 7th and no eggs yet...but more on that later.
He designed and we built a nice looking coop and a great big run - we can't totally free range due to our dogs, and the hawks that have taken a sudden interest in our back yard. We live in the middle of a great old neighborhood in the middle of the city that, thank goodness, still allows backyard chickens. We lost 2 babies as they matured which was pretty sad stuff, but feel like the proud parents of 23 super-healthy and happy ROOSTERS? True they make no noise except a very soothing cluck cluck - no cock a doodle do just yet - but at the same time no eggs. We've dutifully read other conversations here urging us to "keep the faith" and "nature will take her course" but almost 6 months!
We started a "co-op" of sorts with 6 other families who chipped in money to pay for lumber/wire/feed - they and their kids are getting hungry for some farm fresh eggs!
Any war stories/tips/words of comfort out there for a chicken newbie?
Thanks
Jim

welcome-byc.gif
From Bulldog Country

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
and CONGRATS on your first eggs!!! You know now that you have to post pics of those beautiful first eggs don'tcha?

Quote:
Boy were you guys a hard sell! (But so was I - I lurked for months too.)

Words of comfort: Pretend like you don't care if they EVER lay eggs or not. Turn up your nose at their little empty nestboxes and focus on the poo.
It'll get them before you know it!

Back
Top Bottom