First post: need help with duckling born with wry neck.

Midwifebird

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
635F35FD-ED6D-429C-88D1-0F3B37568C57.jpeg

Sorry, first post and already asking for advice. We incubated two Indian runner ducklings. The first one died after internally pipping but never coming out it’s shell and the second pictured above was pipping at the wrong end and after over 48 hours I helped it out, it was half out I just enlarged it’s hole it had in the shell. The duckling was born with what appears to be wry neck, I immediately started feeding it brewers yeast mixed in with its water. It can not stand on its own but is trying so hard. It is like it’s still in its egg, all curled round to the left. Is there anything we can do to help it at all? I’ve read about selenium and vitamin E and my partner is going to get that today. This little thing is so determined, it tries to stand but keeps falling over to the left so ends up rolling to the food and water. I feel like I can’t give up on it yet, poor little thing had a tough start but seems to determined to live. I have a video of it too but can’t figure out how to post it on here. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

I just had this experience with one of my goslings! Here’s what I was told to use and what WORKED! I bought the drench and didn’t even need it. After I gave her a pea sized amount of the Selenium, she started eating later that night. I mixed water and starter feed until it was soft. She ate like a champ! It took her about 3 days and she started walking normal. She’s now 4 week old and you wouldn’t even know! I added a “then and now” photo. I hope it shows up. Best of luck to you and the little one!

Attachments

• A47A4FBD-14F6-420B-ADAB-B9E6D3189BB2.jpeg
    A47A4FBD-14F6-420B-ADAB-B9E6D3189BB2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • F6D2D9A0-2D49-4115-994B-4AC341AA2A8A.jpeg
    F6D2D9A0-2D49-4115-994B-4AC341AA2A8A.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 11
  • D0DC30E1-CCBD-4CBE-A579-0C94EAA4DAAF.jpeg
    D0DC30E1-CCBD-4CBE-A579-0C94EAA4DAAF.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 0FAFEFA2-1F1A-454B-AB0B-BC238E421AFF.jpeg
    0FAFEFA2-1F1A-454B-AB0B-BC238E421AFF.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 8
I have had some success putting a baby who struggled with hatching in a round container like a sour cream container lined with a paper towel. That allows their legs to strengthen without rolling over. Then, I feed it mashed egg yolks (which are high in selenium) and water with vitamins in it. I have also added the vitamin E to the egg yolk mix.

I just had this experience with one of my goslings! Here’s what I was told to use and what WORKED! I bought the drench and didn’t even need it. After I gave her a pea sized amount of the Selenium, she started eating later that night. I mixed water and starter feed until it was soft. She ate like a champ! It took her about 3 days and she started walking normal. She’s now 4 week old and you wouldn’t even know! I added a “then and now” photo. I hope it shows up. Best of luck to you and the little one!
I forgot to mention... I gave her a pea sized amount of the selenium once the first day, and twice a day for 3 more days (once she began walking I stopped.).

Oh wow this gives me hope! I just don’t want to give up on her just yet. (Don’t even know it’s a she but she’s being a girl for now)

I have had some success putting a baby who struggled with hatching in a round container like a sour cream container lined with a paper towel. That allows their legs to strengthen without rolling over. Then, I feed it mashed egg yolks (which are high in selenium) and water with vitamins in it. I have also added the vitamin E to the egg yolk mix.
Ah brilliant. Il get my partner to just buy the vitamin E as we have loads of eggs here we can use for the selenium.

Oh wow this gives me hope! I just don’t want to give up on her just yet. (Don’t even know it’s a she but she’s being a girl for now)
I was sooo scared! I had never seen wry neck before. I ha 2 goslings in my incubator, and I wasn’t about to quit. The gosling pictured above, wouldn’t hatch on her own. She was all kinds of “caddy wompus” in her egg, and would have never internally pipped. Once she worked herself out, she remained twisted up like that. I called a friend and thankfully she knew what to do. As soon as she said “get this and that, ASAP” I was off to tractor supply for supplies! 🤣🤣. There’s hope for sure!

Back
Top Bottom