1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Post on BYC Forums!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joelolly, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Joelolly

Joelolly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    Its official. I'm hooked on chickens. I've never even considered raising chickens because I've really never really had the urge to. I met a girl and ended up moving in with her and she is crazy about them. When I moved in with her she had around 80 birds of different variety. We started letting them free roam and were down to about 3 roosters and 2 hens. We thought about giving up on birds but got another wild hair and got some more. I did a ton of work in the coop and widened it up a bit. We now have about 30 birds of a great variety. My question is: Is it ok to keep differnt breeds of birds in the same coop? Thanks ahead!

2. ROOSTER_ROO

ROOSTER_ROO Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    [​IMG] Oh yes !!!!!!!! The more the merrier i have plenty of variety in our coop.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

~*~*~WeLcOmE~*~*~ from SW VA!

4. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    It's kinda boring looking at a pen with only none breed in it, don't you think? I have 8 different breeds in my pens.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. I have a small flock but mixed. They get along fine. It seems many here have mixed flocks. If you want to breed you have to seperate them or you'll get all sorts of mixes:)

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Welcome to BYC!

Yes, it's fine to keep different breeds together unless you're breeding for purebreds as someone said above.

If you have roosters, you may want to at least keep all the chickens in the same general size range so you don't have huge roosters jumping on bantam hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by