First practice crow, 7 wks - typical or ahead of the curve?

allpeepedout

Songster
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
Southern Indiana
I'm in my kitchen at 7:30 a.m. and hear this bizarre loud noise, "Errr Err," and think, "What the @#$%^?"
And then I remember.
ep.gif

My baby roo, just turned 7 weeks, still in the house at night pending coop completion.

He was the tiniest BR "pullet" in a bin of a couple hundred, the very blackest, with distinct symmetrical headspot, but despite signs of pullet-ness was obviously a roo by day 5. Is this normal roo development or is he ahead of the curve at 7 weeks? (His comb is crooked and pushed over. Will it straighten up?)

81401_ltcrow7wks.jpg

Last edited:
I have some baby Jaerhons in the brooder(1 week old yesterday) and 1 of them is trying to crow.
he.gif

They can start just about any time.

One of my EE "pullets" started the "I'm dieing of some dreaded disease" racket at about 5 weeks. Isn't that absolutely the most horrible sound? The first time I heard it, I sat straight up in bed & the dogs went nuts. sHe's now almost 9 weeks old & can give my older roos a run for their money. I console myself that the hatchery added an extra chick to my order, so I still got all my pullets. Good luck w/ yours--I've actually really enjoyed my roos & their great flock protectors.

Misty, glad to hear you have enjoyed yours. Newbie here, but I'm going to give rooster-keeping a try. At least he waited until 7:30 a.m. His first crow attempt was actually pretty good, just not enough syllables. The second even better. Louder, too.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom