First predator attack

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Well, we made it a year and two months. Last night a racoon got into our coop as the door wasn’t patched properly apparently. Out of our 11 girls, he killed two. He ate one and just killed and left the others. The two he killed were 9 weeks old, my Orpington and Easter Egger. I’m so mad!! And sad. We are fixing the door latch so it latches properly tonight and I am closing their pop door. Their run and coop are both secure, but the latch was messed up to the run, so I’m guessing he just squeezed in. And he left a giant poop on the ramp too. Grrrrrrr

Raccoons are extremely smart and very motivated. I use the kids to test out ours, if they can get in unassisted then I know I have work to do. I ended up using a combination lock just to be extra safe.

My coop doors have conventional exterior door knobs, locked, and the key is safe elsewhere. Raccoons are not our friends!
Set live traps, and shoot the critters when they return, because they will.
Look hard at your coop and run, and fortify it to be safe.
If it's possible to pull a door open, or twist it to the side, that's another access point.
Raccoon poo is toxic stuff; wrap it in the garbage, don't just throw it out there.
Mary

I’ve seen latches/locks that require a magnet to open them.... without the magnetic “key”, they can’t be opened.... I think they are primarily marketed for use in childproofing cabinets and such, but I know of at least one that is designed for use on gates like you put around pools.

That’s actually the type of lock I’m planning to incorporate into the new coop/run design I’m working on now. I haven’t seen a raccoon yet that could find a magnet, take it out to the coop, and use it properly to unlatch the gate. :lau:plbb

Back
Top Bottom