First predator kill

Mrs.ChickChick

Songster
10 Years
May 23, 2009
North central Illinois
We've had an oppossum living under our gazebo for quite some time. Since we're just finishing the coop and will be moving the 6 week olds out within the week, I insisted to DH we get a trap and get rid of the thing. Especially since the gazebo is about 20 feet from the coop.

Well....

Something kept taking the bait and not tripping the trap. Last night we found out why. While we were working on the coop, it got dark and as I walked around the gazebo for something I saw some gleaming eyes. I didn't scream but sucked in my breath so hard DH thought I'd cut off a finger or something!

We have at least 4 possum adolescents. Mother is MIA. Hopefully she's around and we can trap her. We dispatched of 3 of them last night. The remaining sibling wouldn't come out from under the gazebo (the smart one).

First time I've ever shot and killed something. DH did most of the shooting. They looked kinda cute at first, but then I saw those tails, like rat tails. UGH. And I can just imagine what those sharp teeth could do to my little girls. So it was easier after that. Still felt a little sick about it though.

Possums are nomads and only stick around if their is a food source. Trap the remaining adolescent and take it to woods far away and let it go. It won't be back. That doesn't mean it won't be replaced by another possum.

Hopefully mom took off to get away from her brood. If they are big enough to live on their own mom will leave them.

Relocating wildlife is illegial pretty much everywhere, unless you are a state lisenced rehabilitator. Surely you don't intend for her to break the law and risk getting bit by an unknown animal?

Quote:
Um.... Dont do this. Kill them all, do not make them someone else's problems, and do not break any laws by relocating. Brindlebtch, looks like you are new, so I won't preach. Look up a few threads or in the search bar look up relocating predators.

'Nuff said

Eww I agree with you about Opposums. They are really creepy looking. Good for you though!
clap.gif
You were very brave to actually kill without having your husband doing it. It is understandable to feel a little sick after taking a life, but with them being so close to your coop, it was only a matter of time before Momma started taking your chickens to feed her growing brood.
hugs.gif
I hope you feel better soon though and remember you did what you needed to do.

I realize everyone has their views on whether to kill or relocate, but that isn't what I wanted this to turn into. Just wanted to tell of my experience.

Our view is to kill anything that is threatening us/family/pets/property. We left it alone until now because it wasn't threatening any of the above. Now that we have chickens it's a different story.

Oh, and they STINK!
sickbyc.gif
Must be urine or musk released when they're startled.

Back
Top Bottom