First predator kill

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ZuniBee, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    My wife just got home and told me I better go check on my chickens because she saw a huge bird with claws like an eagle. The egg layer chickens were freeranging so I went out and rounded them back into their pen with cracked corn..... one Barred Rock and one RIR was missing.

As I was counting and recounting (while they were running all over the place eating cracked corn) the Barred Rock came up to the gate. I finally got her in and still no sign of the missing RIR.

I walked the property near where my wife saw the bird and sure enough, the RIR was there missing her head and insides and feathers were everywhere......

This has been our first enounter with a predator... I guess the bird was eating the chicken when my wife drove up. She described is as being a brownish, huge bird that was so big she could see the muscles on the legs and huge claws. She knew it was up to no good. It was probably a huge hawk.

Now everything will have to be locked up for a long time until it moves on...... It was so cool to watch the chickens have so much fun running free..... I'm also scared for my two chihuahua's now!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    :mad: I'm so sorry Zunibee!

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Good idea to keep all the animals in lock-down for a little while.

Sorry for your loss. I hope it will be the only one.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry to hear this...........poor hen.
    JJ

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    So sorry to hear you lost a bird. You will want to most definately watch your dogs too!!! My poor turkeys and geese were in a frenzy yesterday when a bald eagle flew over. At least it was only one.. Jenn

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'd rather have a wild animal take one of my pets for food rather than a stupid, bored dog for fun.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'm sorry about your girl. Whenever there's a predator hanging around, I keep my flock penned up until it moves on. So far, it's worked. Hopefully, it will for you, too!!

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Oh no.... Im really sorry that you lost one of your hens to a hawk. Poor girl.

Chel

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    sounds like a golden eagle to me. sorry about your girl.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry to hear that, Jay. After a lockdown, you could try again. I will always freerange mine, I think, even if I lose one to a predator. It's so worth it, to me and to them, at least IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by