First prolapse vent issue

If you have a 1cc/ml syringe and you think you could stick it down your chicks throat, you could try giving it some mineral oil, but this must be done very carefully as aspirated oil of any type can cause lipoid pneumonia, which would probably cause death. Some people drip it in the mouth, but I think that is too risky, so I like to stick it down their esophagus instead.

Do you have a rectal thermometer? If so, you could very gently verify that the vent is still open. If it is, you could squirt a little soapy water and/or mineral oil in to see if that helps.

Epsom salts might be another option, but I don't know if they're okay for birds. I know you are never supposed to give them to cats, but not sure why.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If you decide to try oil, you should use mineral oil, not cooking oil... Mineral oil is not digested like cooking oil. When used in birds and mammals, the stool that comes out is coated in it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is just my thought... if her crop is full of fluid she could have sour crop, which often times is caused by some sort of blockage which makes them drink a lot of water as they try to pass it. I have a bird that has just gotten over sour crop, and she went quite a while without pooping before the blockage finally moved through her system. Maybe she is feeling some sort of constipation which is causing her to keep pushing which is causing the prolapse.

Does any liquid come out of her vent? If not, I would get a rectal thermometer (because it's small and smooth) and verify the the vent is still open.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Very little liquid, mostly small amounts of stringy clumps of .... something. I am going to try the mineral oil today but instead of using a dropper I want to mix it with some yogurt and get the bird to eat on her own, Is that a reasonable approach?

Very little liquid, mostly small amounts of stringy clumps of .... something. I am going to try the mineral oil today but instead of using a dropper I want to mix it with some yogurt and get the bird to eat on her own, Is that a reasonable approach?
It would be safer than you dripping it in.

Only problem is she won't eat, or drink. There is so much information and very little of it is in a language that anyone without a vet license can understand. Anyone know what this is;

(40mls ER Quik 1ml Gel Formula 2mls liquid calcium) in plain simple language? And where can I get it? And what do I do with it?

Back
Top Bottom