First prolapse vent issue

I am willing to learn to tube feed, I am also willing to go get a rectal thermometer.

The doctor's page you posted with those products is the same doctor offering the formula I posted earlier as a treatment for Vent Gleet. I am now more convinced the bird's issue is vent gleet and the prolapse is a symptom. We have been keeping the area clean but the bird is becoming more lethargic and has not eaten. I have some plain yogurt, dark Karo syrup, mineral oil, cracked corn, and starter/grower mash all mixed together for a food offering. I have water with electrolytes and probiotic available, and some chick grit. The crop remains soft and filled with fluid but not balooning just obviously containing fluid. Still no poop but the feathers below the vent are constantly wet so some fluid is passing.

Okay, Memorial day so not a lot of options open but I will see what I can do.

She (I think pullet) just shot a milky white substance about 6 inches out of her vent which remains very swollen. She is more active than previously and is drinking again. Crop is tennis ball size (or a little smaller) and full of liquid, noticeably more full than early this morning. This seems like a good sign, agree?

We seem to be making some progress. The vent has been clear and normal for two days, The bird continues to drink plenty and has just started eating a little on her own. Still no solid poop but a few small runny poops that are being "shot" out not sticking to the birds bottom. The bird is quite fiesty and clearly wants out of the "hospital" cage we made. I am starting to like her chances at recovery.

Thanks for the update!
thumbsup.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom