first quail egg laid!

@Red78, I tried a rabbit bottle for mine and they didn't understand how to use it.

As far as a bator, I would make one yourself. You can drop some serious $$ for one and most are styrofoam! There are lots of descriptions on how to make your own! We are gonna try. I have heard that the Little Giant only work for maybe 5, then become worse and worse.

hello fellow quailers

im now on my second batch of incubating 1 dozen eggs. got 4 of 5 my first batch march 15th. took 16 days, 1 day of lockdown at 65-70%. regular temps ranged from 99.3-100.5 because of the long and freezing winter. used the hova bator 1602n with fan and universal auto turner. these eggs were all laid 1 day apart for 5 days if you can call it a staggered hatch. these chicks grow crazy fast, they got first feathers and quills popping out. im keeping them in a cardboard box with 75w light, shavings on bottom. i avoided opening the bator excessively and poured water thru one of the air plug holes to maintain humidity. had to fiddle with that wafer heater to get the temps right at first. if your chicks are shivering youre keeping them too cold! i just lost one chick to drowning for forgetting to put the stones in the water dish(and i had them at hand! the rules and tips here dont lie)-keep em warm and draft free always! i didnt think id get success at all i was just pretty bored! now im eating eggs,incubating, building new cages for the offsprings, now my wife calls me bird man and contacts are begging me for chicks! go with the good advice available here on the forums, etc. i attribute my success and knowledge to the folks here willing to share info and experiences thanks!! next in the relatively near future, im gonna look into breeding red golden and lady amherst pheasants-so far the most beautiful birds i seen people breeding out here. again, learn from the wisdom here and with common sense you will find success- :)

Last edited:
Finally!!!! 4 months old and got my first egg, it's adorable!

It was so exciting to get my first egg at 5.5 weeks old - my first batch of texas A&Ms. It was completely white, but fully formed and delicious! Then, i've been getting more and more each day and a week later i'm up to 14 eggs per day :) It is so exciting to finally have your hard work pay off!

One of my birds lays these glossy sky-blue eggs with very fine brown specs on it - you would think it is not a real egg but a replica, artificially painted... Gorgeous!

Hi everyone! I'm new to Backyard Chickens and am wondering how to post an ad for some 1 day old chicks and 5 week bantams. Thank you!

@daisylynn Go to the forum buy sell trade then start a new thread. Put what you have and location in the title and people will love you for it! I don't use buy sell trade here because you can
t sort to only bring up your location or people who will ship so its a waste of MY time. You can also post in your state's forum to let them know what you have.

Back
Top Bottom