First Quails, looking for advice

You have a valid point and no one is yelling here but the setup the OP has is fine for the 2 as indoor pets but wouldn’t be for say 20. 2 coturnix can be kept healthy and clean in that environment easier than 2 guinea pigs or dwarf rabbits.
@muddy75 I was gonna say thank you but I was replying to another comment at the same time and the deleted it and this happened lol.

Lol. I agree with your assessment.

Welcome to BYC.

I have a dozen or so of the Coturnix quail you do. They are fine pets and with two I don't think you will have turf issues but just like people they have their own personalities.

As far as feeding, the chicks will need high protein diets. Gamebird feed is recommended but normally comes in too large quantities for those with just a few birds. What you have can be supplemented with ground up dried bugs like mealworms and raw peanuts.

Congrats on your new birds. I find mine a pleasure to watch. They can be so comical and lively.

Thank you! I have a gecko that I feed a mix of live and dried mill worms so I can easily crush and mix the dried with the starter feed.

Here the game feed is very costly but I was hoping with only 2 they wouldn't eat through a 20lb bag too quickly.

They're so silly already, they love to run around the cage and fly kick at everything. How long do you think their size cage can work for them? I can easily build a bigger cage for them.

I also have Diamond doves and I was hoping they'll get along (singing wise) because the cages share a room in the house.

Thank you! I have a gecko that I feed a mix of live and dried mill worms so I can easily crush and mix the dried with the starter feed.

Here the game feed is very costly but I was hoping with only 2 they wouldn't eat through a 20lb bag too quickly.

They're so silly already, they love to run around the cage and fly kick at everything. How long do you think their size cage can work for them? I can easily build a bigger cage for them.

I also have Diamond doves and I was hoping they'll get along (singing wise) because the cages share a room in the house.
They will be fine in the same room and possibly fine together if your coturnix end up being females.

I can always switch it up. I wasn't sure their health when I got them.
Obviously, this is just off of memory, but I think the dosage is too strong for them or something.
I use the same brand, but I do the Game Bird Starter (or if you can't find that, Turkey starter).
Best of luck on yours! Hopefully they are nice and calm for you. My coturnix aren't cuddly or calm at all lol.

Back
Top Bottom