First Quails, looking for advice

Chickycammy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 15, 2018
North Carolina
I got my first ever Quails and I'm so excited! I've read things online about them but since they're going to be inside birds I figured I'd better get some info from some owners.

Right now there is only 2 and not getting any more. They're inside because in my town I have to have a license but after talking with the Game Warden he says I can keep 2 inside and no selling eggs or breeding/selling chicks.

So these little ones will be pets. I have no idea what their genders are, what type they are or anything. I got them from a seller through the paper and it took awhile to find anyone that would sell me only 2. They're eating well, drinking water and are active. I'll add some pics of their cage and them. I feed them medicated crumbles by Purina and they get filtered water.

So with that said what are some general advice from owners? What are some things I can expect from them? Can anyone tell what their species are? How long could it be before I can tell gender?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_124820040.jpg
    IMG_20210612_124820040.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210612_124829285.jpg
    IMG_20210612_124829285.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210612_124923724.jpg
    IMG_20210612_124923724.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210612_130447338.jpg
    IMG_20210612_130447338.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 10
I got my first ever Quails and I'm so excited! I've read things online about them but since they're going to be inside birds I figured I'd better get some info from some owners.

Right now there is only 2 and not getting any more. They're inside because in my town I have to have a license but after talking with the Game Warden he says I can keep 2 inside and no selling eggs or breeding/selling chicks.

So these little ones will be pets. I have no idea what their genders are, what type they are or anything. I got them from a seller through the paper and it took awhile to find anyone that would sell me only 2. They're eating well, drinking water and are active. I'll add some pics of their cage and them. I feed them medicated crumbles by Purina and they get filtered water.

So with that said what are some general advice from owners? What are some things I can expect from them? Can anyone tell what their species are? How long could it be before I can tell gender?

Thank you!!
Don't start calling me names please and only reply to me if you are agreeing with me.

Quails are not good house pets and as someone who currently owns chickens,ducks AND quails, quails are the most stressful. They get injured super easily,stinky and if you have a male they can be SO loud at night. Also the breed of the quail is Coturnix

Lol. I agree with your assessment.

Welcome to BYC.

I have a dozen or so of the Coturnix quail you do. They are fine pets and with two I don't think you will have turf issues but just like people they have their own personalities.

As far as feeding, the chicks will need high protein diets. Gamebird feed is recommended but normally comes in too large quantities for those with just a few birds. What you have can be supplemented with ground up dried bugs like mealworms and raw peanuts.

Congrats on your new birds. I find mine a pleasure to watch. They can be so comical and lively.

I only did that because usually when I say quails aren't good pets everyone starts harassing me and starts defending the person even when it's a bad idea because of how messy and loud they can be.
You have a valid point and no one is yelling here but the setup the OP has is fine for the 2 as indoor pets but wouldn’t be for say 20. 2 coturnix can be kept healthy and clean in that environment easier than 2 guinea pigs or dwarf rabbits

You have a valid point and no one is yelling here but the setup the OP has is fine for the 2 as indoor pets but wouldn’t be for say 20. 2 coturnix can be kept healthy and clean in that environment easier than 2 guinea pigs or dwarf rabbits.
@muddy75 I was gonna say thank you but I was replying to another comment at the same time and the deleted it and this happened lol.

Lol. I agree with your assessment.

Welcome to BYC.

I have a dozen or so of the Coturnix quail you do. They are fine pets and with two I don't think you will have turf issues but just like people they have their own personalities.

As far as feeding, the chicks will need high protein diets. Gamebird feed is recommended but normally comes in too large quantities for those with just a few birds. What you have can be supplemented with ground up dried bugs like mealworms and raw peanuts.

Congrats on your new birds. I find mine a pleasure to watch. They can be so comical and lively.

Thank you! I have a gecko that I feed a mix of live and dried mill worms so I can easily crush and mix the dried with the starter feed.

Here the game feed is very costly but I was hoping with only 2 they wouldn't eat through a 20lb bag too quickly.

They're so silly already, they love to run around the cage and fly kick at everything. How long do you think their size cage can work for them? I can easily build a bigger cage for them.

I also have Diamond doves and I was hoping they'll get along (singing wise) because the cages share a room in the house.

Thank you!!

They are coturnix and look to be wild type color. At 3-4 weeks, you can post pictures of the breast for help with gender. If you have 2 males or 2 females they should be fine but if you have 1 of each then you may have issues with overbreeding

Back
Top Bottom