First Quails, looking for advice

They are coturnix and look to be wild type color. At 3-4 weeks, you can post pictures of the breast for help with gender. If you have 2 males or 2 females they should be fine but if you have 1 of each then you may have issues with overbreeding
I have 2 males and they fight so much :(

Don't start calling me names please and only reply to me if you are agreeing with me.

Quails are not good house pets and as someone who currently owns chickens,ducks AND quails, quails are the most stressful. They get injured super easily,stinky and if you have a male they can be SO loud at night. Also the breed of the quail is Coturnix
I'd never call anyone names, please don't worry!

Thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to clean their cage a lot and I have chickens and ducks as well outside, I use oregano and thyme dried herbs to help keep down the smell. I'll check and see if it's safe to use with the quails.

Thank you! I have a gecko that I feed a mix of live and dried mill worms so I can easily crush and mix the dried with the starter feed.

Here the game feed is very costly but I was hoping with only 2 they wouldn't eat through a 20lb bag too quickly.

They're so silly already, they love to run around the cage and fly kick at everything. How long do you think their size cage can work for them? I can easily build a bigger cage for them.

I also have Diamond doves and I was hoping they'll get along (singing wise) because the cages share a room in the house.
They will be fine in the same room and possibly fine together if your coturnix end up being females.

They are coturnix and look to be wild type color. At 3-4 weeks, you can post pictures of the breast for help with gender. If you have 2 males or 2 females they should be fine but if you have 1 of each then you may have issues with overbreeding

Here are the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_133339384~2.jpg
    IMG_20210612_133339384~2.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210612_133424163~2.jpg
    IMG_20210612_133424163~2.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 4
They look to be about 1-2 weeks old.....keep watching for the spots on the breast. Males in most cases will lose spots and get more rusty colored breast.
Thank you! I'll be keeping an eye on it for changes.

What are some good options to keep them from over breeding if they are male and female? Do I put fake eggs in like with chickens when the female lays?

Back
Top Bottom