First Quails, looking for advice

Unfortunately you would probably need to separate or get more females

You can add hideaways but overbreeding results in feather loss on head and back of the female which takes a long time to grow back in addition to extreme stress and decreased laying

You can add hideaways but overbreeding results in feather loss on head and back of the female which takes a long time to grow back in addition to extreme stress and decreased laying
Poor darlings! I'll definitely be building them a cage where they can see one another but not touch. I wouldn't want that at all.

I can always switch it up. I wasn't sure their health when I got them.
Obviously, this is just off of memory, but I think the dosage is too strong for them or something.
I use the same brand, but I do the Game Bird Starter (or if you can't find that, Turkey starter).
Best of luck on yours! Hopefully they are nice and calm for you. My coturnix aren't cuddly or calm at all lol.

I was looking at that feed bag and thinking it wasn't going to be right for the quail. What's the protein content on it? If you can you should probably get some non-medicated feed when you can. One bag won't harm then, though.

They were raised together and they have a bunch of females.
Males don't share hens well. Sometimes even when they have their own flock and separate pen they get competitive if another roo is too close by. That may explain you are so frustrated with them.

In the absence of hens they typically do okay. That's why I'm thinking 2 birds will likely be fine regardless of gender. @MageofMist seems to do okay with her 2 quail roos and diamond dove. Every bird has exceptions though. That's what makes them so intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom