First run in with a hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smitty750, Mar 11, 2015.

1. smitty750

smitty750 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    I let the 12 chickens out today to roam and do what chickens do, it's 55 today and sunny something we haven't seen for months. I hear some loud noises and look out to see a red tail on top of my SLW, I instinctively removed my shoe and threw it at the hawk scaring it off. Chicken laid on ube ground stunned and in shock I picked her up brought her inside and began to inspect the damage. I looked everywhere which is no easy task, feathers are a lot more dense then they look, layer upon layer lol. All I could seem to find was a pretty decent gash on the top of her back that was bleeding but not too bad and a clean cut of her skin where her thigh and body meet a very taught area of skin but it was not bleeding. I noticed that some feathers were pushed into the wound so I removed them with tweezers and then irrigated with vetricyn. I cleaned out and irrigated the wound on her back as well with vetricyn and checked again for anything else I may have missed. I didn't think that leaving open wounds was a good idea so I glue sutured the skin together with gauze and glue like a butterfly, was this a good idea? Or should I have left it open to "air out"? I didn't want an infection to set into an open wound and figured anytime I've cut myself like that they've always stitched me up. She's in a brooder on her own in the basement were its quiet. Did I do the right thing?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sounds to me like you did just fine :)

3. smitty750

smitty750 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    Thanks sometimes you just need a little reassurance lol. I'm assuming its normal for her to be extremely docile and just sort of sitting still after an event like this. Shock I'm assuming.

4. Honey B

Honey B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Hawk claws are full of bacteria. It is important to really clean the wound well before closing it up. It sounds like you did a good job, hope your chicken heals quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by