First run in with a raccoon last night...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Elwar, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Elwar

Elwar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Hudson, FL
    Ok, so here's my current coop setup (though I've started adding a ramp from the run to the coop.

[​IMG]

I have the roost going along the open side facing toward the house. Mainly so I can look in and see them and there's nothing there to climb to get any sort of access for predators.

My bedroom sliding glass door looks right out to the coop and my dog likes to sit at the door all night and watch all of the wildlife (and bark at them). The night before last he went crazy barking and I got up and looked out to see a possum climbing up the side of the run. I opened the door and threw my shoe at it as it ran away.

Last night he was going crazy again barking. A raccoon was on top of the nesting box peaking around the corner to get a look at the 4 meaty morsels lined up for him. This time I was more prepared than a shoe. I had a very loud firework left over from 4th of July...I opened the door as I lit it, then threw it out toward where I knew it would run to...It was good and loud and hopefully gave him a scare.

Hopefully the neighbors didn't mind the loud noise at 11 at night...but I wanted to make sure the raccoon will think twice before coming back.

The chickens hardly even stirred and my dog was very proud of himself.

2. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cute coop!
    I hope you have hardware material screening all windows doors and your tractor since you already have some dinner guests crashing the scene.
    They can tear into almost anything else and racoons can even open a jar, I read.[​IMG]

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Sounds as if your neighbors are too close for you to shoot a gun. Better get a trap then or hotwire your run and coop as the racoon WILL be back.

Noise is only a temporary deterrent to a chicken McNugget dinner and racoons are very persistant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by