First run in with Coyote

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OcoeeG, Mar 5, 2009.

1. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Our chick house ia about 75 meters fomr the back of the house. One night I heard the dogs going crazy out back near the house. So I took the spotlight and went to investigate. As I walked up they clamed a little. I looked under the house and saw a balck thing moving, thought it was our cat. As I got closer I noticed it was a piece of black plastic swaying in the wind. When one of the dogs started to go crazy again I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was a canine, as I looked closer it was definetly a coyote. It was scared s#$&less, by the dogs who did an amazing job. IT was under out chicken house, which is raised off of the gound about 3' on one side down to about 1..5 feet one the other. I ran inside to get my guns. As of right now all I have is a .410 shotgun and a .22. I decided to try and scare this guy off, so I loaded the .410 and BLAM!! shot really close to the sucker. All I did though is scared it back further to where it couldn't get out. So I loaded another shell and went around to the back and shot at it again. Is scurried out the open back side. We hear coyotes all the time but have never seen them this close. I need a bigger shotgun. Next time the coyote will probally not make it out. Thanks for listening to my rant.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    You've got more guts than I do. I probably would have run into the house screaming like a little girl. [​IMG]

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:I might not ran screaming like a little girl but I would of run screaming for my husband to shot it. Not scare it just shot it. We are aloud to shot them in our area if they are causing a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by